2. Consolation Prize

Utter chaos broke out after that proclamation. Everyone was speaking at once, raising their voices to be heard over the clamour. Rori fell to her knees and bowed low, touching her forehead to the floor.

"Forgive me, Your Highness. I didn't mean any disrespect. My actions were foolish, and I only wish you blame me for it, not my family, as they had nothing to do with it."

"This is outrageous!" the General shouted, an angry red splashing his cheeks. "I opposed this union from the very start, and it turns out I was right. I can't even express how gigantic a waste of time it was! And with all our goodwill, they disrespect me in the worst possible way!"

"Lord General! My King!" Colart fell on his knees too. "I swear I did not know about it! I would never do anything to disrespect any of you!"

"This is ridiculous." The Queen stood up with one graceful movement. "I'd say there is nothing for us to do here. Let us leave this place and its petty schemes to the locals."

Skylar was standing in her place, frozen. Her mind was blank. Even though she witnessed the whole incident, she could not believe it. Aurora was a picture-perfect politician. She had been working for that union for years. To think she got this careless was unfathomable.

"Silence!" the King spoke for the first time since the proclamation, and his voice was heavy with undisputable command. Unspoken words died on everyone's lips while they turned their eyes to him. "It is the most unfortunate turn of events. I am extremely disappointed in you, Lady Aurora. But at the same time, let's not get too hasty about our next steps. As you said, Gawyn, we've already committed a great effort to negotiate the union between our two families. It would be a waste to throw it away just because of a minor misunderstanding."

"Minor misunderstanding?" the General hissed, not even trying to hide his fury. "She is pregnant, Alarat! I will not marry a girl who is not only far beneath us in social circles but is also a whore!"

Skylar shook off her stupor in seconds, jumping at the man. "How dare you!"

But before she got even near him, Colart intercepted her, his strong arms pinning her in place.

"Let's not stoop so low to insult the poor girl," the King said. "I'm sure there is a story that led us here, although I'm afraid we don't have time to hear it. What's important right now is to make sure the alliance proceeds as planned."

"If you think we can keep this scandal from leaking out, you are out of your mind." Gawyn scoffed, crossing his arms defiantly. "Even if we went through it, you would lose more than its worth. Do you want to feed people's gossip? Why is the royal family full of commoners and bastards all of a sudden? That will help you with unifying the kingdom for sure!"

"I get your point, Gawyn. You don't have to fret. I'm not going to force you to marry Lady Aurora. Although considering the rising threat from the Blighted Lands, we need Shawcross as allies. It must be clear to everyone that they will play the key role in upcoming troubled times."

The General narrowed his eyes and looked at Colart. "In that case, you will have to swear the fealty to us. Considering your daughter's misbehaviour and lack of respect, it would be only fair."

"I..." Shawcross hesitated a moment. His expression was troubled.

"That will not do," the King interrupted. "If they swear allegiance to us, it will make them no more than loyal servants, and that's not what we want for the United Kingdom of Lamyria. The other noble families would treat them with no respect, and we can't have that, can we?"

"What other choice do we have? You know, as well as I do, that I can't marry the girl."

"Well, good thing that Colart Shawcross has two daughters."