6. Breakfast with King and Queen

"So, how are we going to get up there?" Skylar asked when Gawyn helped her out of the carriage.

It was barely after dawn. The sky over the city was painted orange and red, but the imposing mass of the rock fortress spiralling up above them efficiently gathered all attention.

"I saw the stairs, but that would take us ages," she added, staring upwards.

"There is an elevator," Gawyn said, putting her hand in the crook of his elbow and leading her away from the stone staircase.

"Elevator? And what is that?" she asked, frowning.

"Do you fear heights?"

"No, why?"

"Good. You'll see." 

The General was a tall man, he was a good head taller than Skylar, but he effortlessly slowed his pace, so she didn't have to strain to keep up with him. She was grateful for that, as walking in a dress with an elaborate and heavy skirt was annoying enough. When they turned the corner, the strangest mechanism came to light.

The metal platform that looked like a cage for several people hung on some iron ropes and was connected to a system of pulleys and levers, with a big wheel where several mules were harnessed.

Skylar stopped abruptly. "Please tell me we are not getting into that thing."

"Yes, we are. It is the quickest way to the palace. You said you were not scared of heights," Gawyn said, pulling her gently toward the metal contraption. Skylar could swear he was smirking.

"I'm not scared of heights. But I'm not letting anyone close me in the cage hanging over the cliff!"

"Come on. It's not the time to get hysterical. It's perfectly safe. I'm getting in there with you, am I not?"

Sky reluctantly let the General lead her inside the platform. The engineer in charge of the mechanism closed the barred door behind them. He signalled to his co-worker, who snapped a whip at the mules. The animals pulled on the wheel. The iron ropes snapped tight and started moving, pulling the cage sharply upwards. Skylar lost her balance and bumped into Gawyn. His arm wrapped around her waist to stabilise her. She instinctively clutched at the flap of his jacket, her knuckles white.

"If we die in here, I swear I'll find you in whatever hell you get into and kill you again!" Sky hissed.

Gawyn laughed. Skylar was so shocked by an unexpected sound she looked up at him. It was a short burst of amusement, and yet it sounded sincere. His face didn't look like an indifferent porcelain mask anymore. His grey eyes were sparkling with glee, and he was smirking, clearly entertained by her reaction.

"Relax," he said. "It will take a while to get to the palace. But the view of the city is fantastic, so try to enjoy it."

Skylar suddenly felt her cheeks burning. She was acting like a damsel in distress and hated the feeling. She was a warrior and will not be intimidated by some crazy invention straight from nightmares. Sky forced herself to let go of Gawyn's jacket and straighten her back, although her legs were still trembling every time her eyes wandered down below. The General kept his arm around her waist as if it was the most natural thing in the world.

"How did you invade this place?" Skylar asked when her heart stopped racing frantically. She needed some distraction. 

"What?" Gawyn asked and looked down at her in surprise.

"You were the one who forced Hawkclaws to capitulate, were you not? I assume they didn't just hand you this fortress?"

"No, they didn't," he replied hesitantly, as if he was not sure why she wanted to start this discussion. "But I didn't have to invade it. Inaccessible as this fortress is, it also has loads of disadvantages. All I needed to do was cut off all the supply lines getting into the palace. After a week of siege, they have no choice but to capitulate. Otherwise, they would starve."