5. The First Clash

Skylar woke up at dawn, and for a moment, she lay motionless, looking at the unfamiliar ceiling. When her mind finally caught up, she got up with a sigh. Her body needed exercise. She always started her day with some physical activity and sword practice. It let her wake up, relax and get rid of any anxiety – which she felt plenty, considering her situation.

She kneeled at her coffer, which was brought to her room yesterday, and opened the lid. She rummaged through clothes and frowned. Something was not right - the only garments inside were dresses. Skylar was sure she packed at least two breeches, loose shirts, and tunics for her morning exercise. But the fact was, only dresses remained.

Then she remembered the displeasure on Gawyn's face when she announced that she would keep her training and the realisation dawned on her.

"That bastard!" She gasped.

She got up and checked every wardrobe and chest in her room. Still, the only clothes were feminine pieces that were entirely unsuitable for anything more than relaxed strolling around the gardens. Growling with annoyance, Skylar put on a first dress she grabbed and stormed out of the room, intending to find her husband and demand the return of her clothes.

But the moment she stepped out, she almost crashed at a soldier standing in front of her doors. He was startled at the sudden rush movement and jumped back, looking at her with eyes wide.

"L-Lady Skylar!" he stammered and bowed his head.

"Oh, hello there," Sky said, straightening her back and brushing the hair off her face. "Who might you be?"

"My name is Preston, and I was assigned as your guard, my lady," he said, bowing again.

Skylar cocked her head, looking the man up and down. He seemed young, not much older than her. His face was round, and so was his belly, which pushed out on his chainmail.

"Why would I need a personal guard at the mansion?" she asked, raising her brow. "I saw the guards posted outside. Is that necessary?"

The soldier straightened his back and puffed out his chest. "You are a very important person now, my lady. It is important to ensure you are safe and sound."

"Does my husband have a personal guard following him everywhere he goes?"

"He has personal guards that accompany him when he is out and about in the city," Preston said hesitantly. He started sweating under Sky's sharp gaze.

"And at home?"

"No, I don't believe he has, my lady."

"Then why are you here? I'm not going out any time soon."

"I... I'm sorry, my lady. That was the order from the Lord General himself. I was to accompany you at all times."

"To keep me safe or to keep an eye on me?" Skylar demanded coldly with narrowed eyes.

"My lady! I... I wouldn't dare. Please believe me. I'm here only to ensure your safety."

With one swift movement, Skylar grabbed the handle of his sword, unsheathing it and stopping it an inch of the soldier's throat. The man shrieked in surprise and jumped back, but he hit the wall behind him. Skylar pressed the blade to his neck.

"M-my lady," he stammered as his face flushed red.

"Are you supposed to protect me?" She scoffed. "It hurts to think that my husband has so little respect for me to assign a novice to guard me."

"My lady, please..." The soldier squirmed.

"Lady Skylar, whatever are you doing?" a calm but stern voice called.