10. Consequences

AN: the chapter contains strong language 

__________

Axel fell to the floor, blood gushing from his nose.

"Bitch!" he screamed, his voice high-pitched. "You broke my bloody nose!"

"Try to talk dirt on my sister or family again, and you'll see what else I can break," growled Skylar, shaking her hand as her knuckles hurt.

Axel's face contorted, twisting his features into an ugly mask. "You and your family are scums! The sorts like you shouldn't even be allowed to enter the court!" He spat blood when other men helped him back to his feet.

"I see you didn't learn your lesson," Skylar said, taking a step toward him.

Unexpectedly, someone's strong arms grabbed her by the waist and lifted her from the floor, leaving her feet dangling in the air.

"No, you don't!" Gawyn hissed to her ear.

"Let go of me!" Skylar protested, flailing in his arms, but his hold was firm. 

He whirled around and put her down. His face was pale, and his grey eyes were throwing daggers at her. "I said enough! Stay back!"

Ironhand was still shouting, his voice echoing in the suddenly silent room. "─outrageous! Never in my life was I treated this way. This bitch should be kept on a leash, I tell you! She and all her family are barbarians, and you'd all be wise to stay away from them!"

"That's enough!" Gawyn's voice was cold and commanding.

Skylar had never seen him like this before. When she was angry, it was all hot and loud. But Gawyn seemed to be emanating a deadly cold. His movements were quick and precise, without any unnecessary flashy gestures. She missed the moment when he drew his sword and put it to Axel's throat. The nobleman was shouting one second, and the cold steel was pressed to his neck the next.

"It is the third time you affronted my wife, sir. Watch yourself because if you do it again, I will have no choice but to demand satisfaction. And it will not end up with a bloody nose. Offend her again, and you'll pay with your life. Do you understand?"

The room was deadly silent. Skylar forgot how to breathe for a moment. She couldn't believe that after everything she did today, Gawyn still had her back. Suddenly she felt like a complete idiot for putting such an honourable man in this position. Her face burned, but this time from embarrassment. All anger just puffed out like a snuffed candle.

Axel raised his hands. "I apologise. I admit I might have been out of line," he said, and his voice was even more high-pitched than before.

"Good." The General sheathed his sword and looked around at all the nobles staring at them. "Show's over." He turned on his heel and grabbed Skylar's elbow, pulling her with him. "And you are going home. Right now," he hissed at her. This time Gawyn didn't bother with pacing his steps down to match hers, so she ended up trotting at his side.

"You can let go of me now," Skylar said when they left the grand ballroom and were crossing the empty hall towards the elevator.

"Not a chance." The General scoffed. "Last time I let you go, you went and punched one of the most prominent nobles. What the hell you've been thinking?"

"He deserved that. He's an arsehole." Sky shrugged.

"Of course, he is. Most people at this party are. But that's not giving you the right to punch them! Violence is hardly ever an answer."

The whole trip down in the elevator passed in oppressing silence. Skylar felt so bad that she couldn't even face him. Gawyn wasn't looking at her either. When they finally reached the ground, he hailed a carriage and pushed her inside.