28. sudden endings

(credit to Katie [@stolen-pen-name23 on tumblr] for making these headers for CC <3)

A/N: this is for the CC collaboration Daily Death: Obi-Wan Kenobi (the other stories can be found here: https://bit.ly/3zTKZoM)!

Obi-Wan knew something bad had happened the moment his comm beeped. The hairs on the back of his neck rose, a sign of danger, but for what, he didn't know.

"General, something's wrong!"

Anakin had just led Ahsoka away a few minutes ago, informing him that they would be back later after taking a nap.

However, it seemed like the Force didn't stop for anyone. Obi-Wan could only hope that the two of them were asleep as he breathed in, struggling to keep himself calm.

"Brief me."

He was already running through the deck, dodging soldiers that were blocking his way.

Something pulsed in his head, and he winced slightly. The Force had been muddled those past few hours, much too quiet for his liking. There was a sense of dread every time he reached out, warning of something dark and dangerous.

It was like this ever since the Separatists infiltrated them in space, bringing small forces and slipping through their ship.

Much more different than usual, but no one had died.

It was starting to unsettle him, especially when Anakin, Ahsoka, and the men were on board from the aftermath. He constantly looked behind his back, as if he would see the vulture droid's four legs skittering towards him. Cody had told him that everything was in order in the aftermath, and yet, Anakin and Ahsoka both felt what he did.

But no one, not a single person, could find the source of their distress.

"Think there's something wrong with the system, but we can't identify it! Everything's shutting down, and we only have half of the emergency powers in store!"

Obi-Wan's eyes widened in disbelief, stopping in his tracks. Half of the emergency powers were already in use? They wouldn't even be able to make it back to Coruscant at this rate. He didn't even think they would be able to survive.

"How? If we only have that much energy keeping us up and we're still in hyperspace, that means we're going to die!"

"We're trying to figure out what's going on, sir!"

Obi-Wan switched channels, praying that the person on the other side would respond. His feet picked up again.

All of a sudden, the ground shook, the man stumbling. He caught himself, his hand reaching out to the rail. His head turned towards the glass and he could see the ship sputtering out of hyperspace into eternal blackness.