Chapter 1

„Where am I?"

Are my first words upon waking up, and trying to get my eyes to open and view in what predicament I found myself once again. „In prison, mate." Said a voice behind me. I fully open my eyes, fear begins to swell within me, turning around I spot a man, leaning against a wall. „Prison? What do you mean?" I ask as I analyse the man. He seems to be in his thirties, thirty-six years old, maybe? He has short, black hair and brown eyes. His hair seems like it wasn't washed for weeks, and his eyes lack any real emotion. „What do you mean, what do I mean? What does this look like to you? A bar?" He says, but I can't pin point if he's joking or serious. I glance at his clothes, those are most certainly clothes a prisoner would wear. I take a look at myself just to notice, that I too, am wearing the same clothes of a prisoner. „B-But I can't be in prison!" I say, louder than needed. „I didn't do anything illegal in my life, I swear!" Before I can continue speaking, the man interrupts me. „Be quiet, will you!? We don't want to cause unnecessary ruckus, got it?" I realize he is right, screaming won't do me no good.

So I try to ask him questions instead, after all, I have no memory of how I got here...actually... I don't even remember other things...like, who are my parents...? Why don't I remember such basic things!?

I still remember what an airplane is, so why can't I remember who my mother is!?

„You good, pal? You seem a little shaky." The man snaps me out of my thoughts. „I-I am fine... I just... have no idea how I got here, is all..." I say, still a bit unsure of what to do, I try to ask the questions I deem important as of now. „Do you know how I got here?" I ask the man. „Heh, how would I know? You were simply dragged in here, unconscious, and slept for a good few hours until you've finally decided to wake up " He says with a smile. A smile I cannot share. „Where is here? What kind of prison even is this?" The man looks me up and down, his smile faints, he looks me in the eyes. „You aint from here, are you?" I take a step back, unsure of what to think of this. „What do you mean, ,,from here,, ?" I answer, dumbfounded. „Ight, listen up, mate" he says in a more serious tone. „You are currently in Gensokyo, a world filled with magical, mythical, and what do I know sorts of shenanigans "...I...what?... is this man messing with me? „What? H-" I try to say how ridiculous he is but he interrupts me once again. „Ey, let me finish!" He says. I stay silent and continue listening, despite my better judgement. „Anyways, right now, we are located in a place inside Gensokyo, called the Scarlet Devil Mansion, specifically, its dungeons." I want to say something but he beats me to it. „Yeah, I kinda lied about this being a mere prison...it is just better for me to think of it as a prison, sorry about that" I was speechless, and yet had to know if he was truly messing around with me or if he was dead serious.

„Are you serious? Do you think I'll believe something like this? Nice joke, but I don't think this is funny..." I say, I don't want to believe that what he says is true, no way. He looks at me and rolls his eyes. „Believe me or not, that doesn't matter. What does matter is that if you wish to live you better be prepared for any surprises." He says as he continues. „You won't last long with that mindset, so ya better listen to what I can tell you or you are doomed." He says, shifting against the wall. At this point, even if I still truly want to refuse what he is telling me as the truth of the situation, I find it hard to convince myself. The way he said it, it seemed genuine. Genuine enough, for the fear inside me to multiply. „I-If what you are saying is true, then... How do I get out? H-How do I get back home?" I say, one can hear the desperation in my voice.

„Heh, I have no clue." As he said that another part of me died inside. „But, I may know how to get out of here, this dungeon and mansion." Hope has returned to me, even if just a bit from the amount I already lost, it was enough to make a faint smile appear on my face. „Really?!" I almost shouted that out loud. „Be quiet! Gaah... you are going to be the end of me..." he says that, but I can see he's smiling.