chapter 10

Chapter 10
To War

Dahlia instructed the dryads to wake the rest of the troops and inform them of Aslan's death. Soon the entire camp was crawling with Narnians prepping horses or finishing up weapons and armor for the upcoming battle.

The large table in Aslan's tent had been moved outside; Dahlia, Edmund, and Oreius stood around it looking at the battle plans the lion made before he died. Dahlia stared at the burnt corner of the map she'd lit on fire after learning that Aslan was sacrificing himself. She still couldn't believe he was dead. The three of them looked up as Peter emerged from Aslan's tent, leaning on the table in front of him.

"You're right," he muttered, looking at Dahlia. "He's gone." Dahlia's eyes fell to the lion on the hilt of his sword.

"Then you'll have to lead us," Edmund said quietly. The others looked over at him. "Peter, there's an army out there. It's ready to follow you." Dahlia stared out over the valley; their army was going to have to trust the judgment of a child. Prophecy or not, she didn't like their chances. Peter seemed to agree.

"I can't," he said, shaking his head at Edmund. Dahlia walked around the younger boy and rested a hand on Peter's shoulder.

"Aslan believed you could," Edmund replied. "And so do I." Peter looked at his brother, obviously still discouraged. As unsure of their ability to win as Dahlia was, she knew Peter needed the support.

"As do I," she said softly, squeezing Peter's shoulder to get him to look at her. "You won't be alone, Peter. It's my job to protect your family and I intend to do just that." Peter managed a small smile, which Dahlia returned.

"The Witch's army is nearing, sire. What are your orders?" Oreius asked. Peter turned back to the battle plans, Dahlia peering down at the map over his shoulder. They were going to need one hell of a plan.

***

A griffin soared overhead, landing next to where Peter and Oreius waited on the ground in front of most of their army. The rest of the troops, mainly archers, were standing at the top of a rock formation above the field. Dahlia, Edmund, and Mr. Beaver were positioned at the head of that group, all in full armor. Horns sounded from the distance. The Witch's army was coming.

The White Witch's troops appeared on the horizon and Dahlia knew she'd been right to worry about numbers. Thousands of horrible creatures, some even larger and more grotesque than the ones at the Stone Table, marched towards them waving weapons and growling. Dahlia and Edmund glanced at each other when the Witch herself came into view.

She rode a silver chariot pulled by two large polar bears, her wand clutched in one hand. Dahlia felt nauseous; the White Witch was wearing Aslan's mane as a headdress. Her army lined up beside and behind her, cheering and eagerly awaiting her orders. Dahlia noticed their troops were dead silent in comparison.

Peter turned around on his unicorn, looking up at Dahlia and Edmund. Edmund nodded at him, and Dahlia gave him a forced smile that he most likely couldn't even see. Peter drew his sword, the troops on the ground following his lead. A trumpet sounded as they all cheered.

The Witch's army began to advance, but Peter didn't move. Dahlia and Edmund looked at each other as the army grew closer; he shouldn't be waiting so long. Edmund drew his sword, waiting for Peter's signal.

Peter swiped his sword down, and Dahlia jumped off the cliff. Griffins with rocks clutched in their claws flew over her and towards the Witch's army as she floated down to Peter and Oreius, hovering over them with fireballs in hand. The griffins swooped down over the Witch's army, dropping the boulders on the soldiers and knocking many of them to the ground. Peter had explained to Dahlia that this idea stemmed from air raids happening in the Pevensies' world.