epilogue

Epilogue
The King and the Mage

Dahlia rubbed her lion pendant between her fingers as she leaned against the balcony at the back of the ship. The light of the setting sun made the sea below glisten like diamonds, and she closed her eyes to listen to the wind whistle in her ears. The deck of the ship had gotten much too loud for her liking, so she'd slipped away when Caspian wasn't looking to get a moment of peace. The noise had served as a good distraction for a while, but she hadn't had time to herself since they left Aslan's country and it was beginning to get to her.

The door to the room behind her creaked open, and she heard someone tread softly across the wood floor. She didn't turn around, choosing instead to rest her chin on her hand and gaze down at the water. It was quiet for a moment, and she thought for a second that maybe the person had left. But when a pair of arms wrapped around her waist she knew the person was Caspian, and he never left her alone if he thought she was in need of comfort. He'd learned to be incredibly perceptive about when to stay with her or let her be, and when she leaned back into his chest he knew he'd made the right call.

"Do you remember when Peter and Susan left, how I told you a part of me felt empty?" Dahlia asked weakly. Caspian nodded against her shoulder. "The hole got bigger." Caspian nodded again, pressing a gentle kiss to her hair.

"I know, darling, I'm so sorry. I miss them too." Neither of them said anything for a bit, choosing instead to admire the setting sun. "Do you remember how I told you that you still had me?" Dahlia nodded, squeezing his hand. "You still do. You always will, if that helps as all." Dahlia smiled softly, angling her face to look up at him.

"It absolutely does."