chapter 41

Chapter 41
Demons in the Dark

It was day again by the time the crew had finished eating and prepared themselves for whatever lay ahead. As the Dawn Treader approached Dark Island, the ocean churned, smoke curled off the island, and the colossal rocky structure ahead of them almost completely blocked out the sun. The Pevensies, Dahlia, and Caspian were gathered around the wheel with Drinian, staring at the foreboding mass of smog they were slowly sailing into.

"What do you think is in there?" Dahlia asked weakly, aware that the lion pendant around her neck had already begun to glow. She could hear the low murmurs and hisses of the magic coming from within the island. This was the domain from which the mist had escaped, and it was far more powerful here. They had no way of knowing how that power would manifest itself.

"Our worst nightmares," Edmund replied, not drawing his eyes away from the island. A collective chill ran through the group as they each recalled their dreams from the night the mist first attacked.

"Our darkest wishes," Caspian added. Dahlia risked a glance over to him; his jaw was clenched and his knuckles were white around the hilt of his sword. He hadn't told her what his dream had been about, but she didn't expect him to. She still hadn't made any efforts to explain her own nightmare, and after her quick escape when he'd asked her about it the first time Caspian hadn't broached the topic again.

"Pure evil," Drinian concluded menacingly from the helm. Dahlia felt someone slide closer to her and grab her hand - Lucy. The mage squeezed her hand back and didn't let go.

***

Lucy and Dahlia silently put on their armor in Dahlia's room while Gael sat curled up on the bed watching them. Dahlia's foot was propped up on the velvet cushion of her window seat, and she stared despondently through the glass as she finished lacing up her boots. The smoke from the island was slowly swallowing their ship, but she could still see the occasional flash of sinister green light.

"When I grow up, I want to be just like the two of you." Dahlia drew her eyes away from the window at Gael's faint remark. She angled her head just enough to catch Lucy's eye in the mirror, then smiled gently and nodded as if to say 'your turn.'

"When you grow up, you should be just like you," the young queen said softly as she sat next to Gael on the bed. She wrapped an arm around the young girl and pulled her into her side. Dahlia watched with a bittersweet smile as Gael tucked her face into Lucy's shoulder. The dynamic of the two girls reminded her greatly of herself and Lucy many Narnian years ago.

The odd thing about their relationship was that they'd gone through this twice, once during the Golden Age and once when the Pevensies returned three years ago. And now Lucy was all grown up, this time for good. Dahlia was proud of her, because of course she was, although she couldn't help but be reminded of what happened to the last Pevensie girl who'd grown up. She'd lost Susan three years ago, and the awful sinking feeling in her stomach told her that soon it would be Lucy's turn to leave Narnia forever.

***

"No matter what happens here, every soul who stands before me has earned their place on the crew of the Dawn Treader." Caspian stood on the raised platform facing the crew, his back to the threatening tunnel of smoke serving as the entrance to the island. Everyone had gathered on the deck to listen to their king's speech, save for Dahlia who leaned on the railing of the platform a few feet away from Caspian. "Together we have traveled far. Together we have faced adversity. Together we can do it again. So now is not the time to fall to fear's temptations. Be strong, never give in. Our world..." Caspian paused, sparing a glance at Dahlia. She couldn't even manage a false smile, but her tense nod seemed to be enough. "Our Narnian lives depend on it. Think of the lost souls we're here to save." Dahlia found Gael in the crowd, Lucy's arm wrapped around her shoulders. "Think of Aslan. Think of Narnia." Caspian nodded to Dahlia and they both started to descend the stairs.