chapter 24

Chapter 24
A Challenge From the High King

"Cakes and kettledrums!" The Pevensies, Dahlia, Caspian, and a handful of Narnians were standing around a small chamber beside the Stone Table room figuring out a plan. They had a decent one, but evidently Trumpkin didn't like it. "That's your next big plan? Sending a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest? Alone?"

"It's our only chance," Peter retorted, leaning on the table at the center of the chamber.

"And she won't be alone," Dahlia said from beside Lucy. The plan was that the pair of them would ride into the forest and try to wake up the trees. They didn't know for sure if Dahlia's magic could do that, or if the trees would listen to Lucy if magic failed, but it was the best idea any of them could come up with. Trumpkin continued to protest while Susan squeezed Dahlia's arm and leaned closer to talk to her.

"Are you sure you don't want me to go?" the gentle queen asked. Dahlia shook her head, glancing at Lucy.

"No, it's alright. Last time I checked, you're not the one that can do magic." Susan nodded and they both returned their attention to Peter.

"We have to hold them off until Lucy and Dahlia get back," the High King said, nodding at the mage.

"If I may," Caspian said quietly from his seat on the steps; Dahlia was relieved that he seemed to have an idea. No one objected to him speaking so the prince glanced at his professor and stood up, cautiously approaching the table. "Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer, but as king he is subject to the traditions and expectations of his people. There is one in particular that may buy us some time."

***

Dahlia, Edmund, and Glenstorm walked across the field towards the Telemarine camp, each holding olive branches as a peace offering. Edmund and Dahlia, who typically handled the diplomatic responsibilities during the Golden Age, were going to challenge Miraz to single combat in Peter's name. Glenstorm went as well because Peter always insisted on them having some kind of bodyguard.

"Do you think he'll accept?" Dahlia quietly asked Edmund, watching Miraz walk back into the forest. He'd been observing their approach through a telescope.

"Of course he will," Edmund said with confidence Dahlia had none of in that moment.

"What makes you so sure?" the mage asked hesitantly. With all the chaos of the prior days, she couldn't fathom something going according to plan.

"Miraz is the type of man who will do anything to prove his strength. He wants to show off his power, and we're dropping an opportunity in his lap. Add a few jabs at his bravery, should he refuse, and we're in." Dahlia nodded slowly, contemplating his words.

"So the plan is to subtly mock him?"

"That's exactly the plan."

"Excellent."

***

"I, Peter, by the gift of Aslan, by election and by conquest, High King of Narnia, Lord of Cair Paravel and Emperor of the Lone Islands, in order to prevent the abominable effusion of blood, do hereby challenge the usurper Miraz to single combat upon the field of battle," Edmund read off the scroll in front of Miraz and his council of lords. Dahlia stood a bit away, leaning against one of the poles holding up Miraz's tent. As part of their play to taunt Miraz, she lazily examined her nails and mouthed along to Peter's titles to compliment Edmund's slightly bored tone; the use of the word 'usurper' had been Dahlia's idea. "The fight shall be to the death. The reward shall be total surrender."