Chapter 1

"Hi- you're um- also an intern- right?" The small shaggy haired man asked.

"Yes." Meredith responded dryly.

"That's good- Me too. I'm an intern- so we will work together- which is good." The man stammered.

"Is it?" She asked as she suddenly turned and abandoned the man. She hated this. There wasn't single purpose she could think of for an "intern mixer." The interns are eventually going to get to know each other so why waste money and time on a boring party with dull obnoxious people.

Meredith needed a game plan. She couldn't leave, the old man who used to bang her mom and now was her boss was watching her like a hawk, so leaving wasn't exactly an option. She couldn't stand alone or else the clingy coworkers would try to mingle with her. Which would be bad because she was pretty sure that murdering a coworker the day before your job starts was a bad idea. So the only option was to stand by someone awkwardly so no one would approach her.

She scanned the room for anywhere she could hide, and saw a man sitting in the corner, slowly drinking a scotch. He was staring at the glass with boredom in his eyes. Meredith grabbed a chair and pulled it towards the man. She sat down next to him without saying a word, and began drinking her beer.

"Intern?" She asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Yup." He replied, ending their communication. They sat together in complete silence for an hour before Meredith decided it was finally an acceptable time to leave.

She stood up from her seat, turned to the man and said, "See you tomorrow."

He looked up to her, "Okay." He responded.

"Okay." She replied with a small smile at the corner of her lips. Meredith quickly walked out of the room to avoid any and all conversations with her future coworkers. Leaving the party knowing that there was at least one person there that wasn't completely obnoxious.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(The Next Morning)

"Hi!" The very loud blonde woman standing in front of her said as she stuck out her hand. "I'm Isobel but everyone calls me Izzie."

"That's- nice." Meredith said with a scowl on her face as she ignored the hand reaching out to her.

The blonde, now known as Izzie, looked to the red-head standing next to her nervously. "This is April." Izzie pointed to the other girl.

"Okay." Meredith said as she finished putting on her scrubs and looked around the locker room.

"And- um- you're name would be?" She continued. God will this chick ever shut the fuck up.

"Grey." Meredith responded.

"Great!" She said cheerfully. "So it's me, April, you, then there is George- he's the short one over there." She pointed to the man who tried to talk to Meredith the previous night. "Then there is Jackson, the one who looks like a perfect mannequin," She pointed to another man. "And there is another guy, but I got the sense that he wasn't all too friendly so I didn't catch his name, but he's the tall, dark, and handsome one." She finished by pointing to the man who Meredith sat with the previous night. The one she actually didn't hate. Meredith turned away from the women and immediately went to the man.

"Hey." She said casually.

He nodded up at her.

"Avery, Grey, Kepner, O'Malley, Shepherd, Stevens!" A man at the door of the locker room called out. "You're with Bailey, she's at the end of the hallway."