Chapter 3

"Should we wake them?" Meredith heard a voice above her say.

"Why would we?" Another voice asked.

"If Bailey catches them, they'll be on scut for the foreseeable future." The first voice replied.

"So? It's not like either of them would wake us if they found us like that." The second voice retorted.

"But we are better people than them. We are good people." The first voice said proudly.

"True." The second voice agreed.

"Plus they are so much more pleasant when they are asleep." The first voice added.

"They almost look cute, all curled up together." The second voice fawned.

At this Meredith finally opened her eyes. She was hoping that they would have eventually left them alone but it didn't seem like that was going to happen anytime soon. "Idiots." She glared at them while they stared back at her dumbfounded. "Scram!" She said in an intimidating voice causing them to turn on their heels and walk away, all in the meanwhile bitching about her.

Meredith turned to the sleeping man next to her a gave him a small smile. She lightly shook his arm and whispered, "Derek- wake up." After a few seconds of shaking, he opened his eyes and smiled lightly at her. 

"Morning." He said.

"Your shift ended half an hour ago. You should go home, get some sleep in a real bed." She responded. 

"No." He replied in a groggy voice as he shook his head. "You're off in another two hours, I'll stay and wait."

"Okay." Meredith replied as she grabbed her textbook and leaned back against him. "It's weirdly quiet today."

"Yes." He responded, reading the textbook that was in her lap.

"They called us cute." Meredith said quietly.

"Who?" Derek said while reaching into her lap to flip the page.

"Barbie and Dorothy." Meredith answered.

"Weird." Derek responded as he ran his fingers through her now messy hair.

"I know." Meredith replied as her pager went off. "Crap pit- I got to go."

"I'll come with." Derek said getting up from the gurney they were on.

"Derek, you're off. You should get some rest and eat." She said.

"I'll rest and eat when you are off." He responded.

Meredith shook her head. "Fine." 

They went together to the ER which was filled with drunk frat boys. Apparently stupid college boys, alcohol, and large quantities of fireworks didn't go too well together. Meredith went to a bed with a man the a large burn cut on his leg, while Derek went to the bed next to hers. Meredith gave Derek a small smile then frowned down at the drunken boy.

"Heyyyy." The boy said, giving her a shit eating grin.

"Your cut is pretty deep, I'm going to clean it then give you six or seven stitches." Meredith said.

"How about I give you six or seven inches." The boy smirked.

"How about I cut off five or six inches." Meredith replied, then looked up at Derek who was now giving a death glare to her patient. She started to clean the wound, put in something to numb the area, then started putting in stitches. After she finished, she gave him the paperwork he needed to fill out and began to leave to treat the next patient.

"Can I get your number?" The boy asked before she could leave.

"No, and you want to know why? Because I don't give my numbers to gross pervy idiots who don't have enough common sense to be able to use fireworks without filling an ER with drunk boys who are taking beds from patients who didn't end up here from being too moronic to function. And the next time you end up here, which I assume will be soon because of your sophomoric fraternity, I recommend you don't sexually harass your doctor." She lectured and moved on to the bed on the other side of the boy. Her knew patient was quiet and looking up at her with wide terrified eyes. 

"Fucking bitch." Her previous patient called after her. Meredith turned back to him to yell some more when Derek beat her to it.

"Watch it!" He boomed in a voice that was probably louder than he had intended. It was the kind of voice that you never wanted to be on the receiving end of. A voice that Meredith had never heard from Derek before. Meredith looked up at him with shocked eyes, he quickly made eye contact, then looked down at his patient who was shifting uncomfortably.

After Meredith's shift was over, she waited for Derek to finish taking care of his patient and they left to go to the locker room together.

"Want to hang out at my place tonight?" Derek asked with a hint of nervousness in his voice.

"Sure." Meredith nodded.