Chapter 10

"Sir, sit down." Meredith snapped in annoyance at the man who refused to sit still.

"No. I have a fucking life to get to and you are taking your god damned sweet time." The man growled in reply. "Incompetent bitch."

"Sir." Meredith glared at him. "When I am done treating you, you are not going to go back to your 'fucking life.' You are going to be talking to the police and explain how you were to drunk to be able to stay in your lane on the highway. You will explain how you are the reason that about fifteen other people can't get back to their fucking lives. And how two of those people will never ever go back to their fucking lives because you killed them. Then you are going to jail, you impatient twat."

"Listen here." The man said with rage in his voice. He stood up from the bed, raised his uninjured arm, took aim, but before he was able to 'make his point,'  a large fist smashed into his jaw, knocking him to the ground.

"Derek!" Meredith exclaimed, as Derek stormed out of the ER, shaking his hand in pain. She followed him out and into an on-call room where he was examining his own hand. Meredith sat down on the bed and grabbed his hand, to examine it herself. "You're a surgeon Derek." Meredith chastised.

"I know." Derek mumbled.

"The means you need your hands intact." Meredith continued.

"I know." Derek repeated.

"So next time you want to beat someone up, try kicking, or maybe elbowing if you have a good angle. Maybe some well placed kneeing." Meredith suggested causing Derek to smirk at her.

"I'll keep that in mind next time you antagonize someone to the point that they try to attack you." Derek grinned at her.

Meredith glared. "You know, I would get back at you for that one but I think the hand makes us even." Meredith glanced down. "It doesn't seem like anything is broken, but you are bleeding a bit so we should probably wrap it and get some ice." Meredith left the room and came back a few minutes later with bandages, Neosporin, and an icepack.

"Thanks." Derek said gently, wincing at the cold ice being put on his hand. There was a loud beeping that echoed through the room, Derek looked down at his pager and sighed. "I'm being paged to the chief's office."

"I'm coming with you." Meredith said while swiftly getting up from the bed. 

"No Meredith-" Derek started.

"Listen, it was my fault you are in this mess so I should be there to help you get out of it. Plus the chief likes me." Meredith said.

Derek gave her a confused look. "Seriously? Why does the chief like you?" 

Meredith gave Derek a fake hurt look, "Wow." She laughed.

Derek widened his eyes. "I mean, I personally, am a big fan of you. Huge. But other, clearly confused people, tend to have the weird habit of disliking you, or hating you... with a passion."

"Nice save." Meredith giggled. "The chief used to fuck my mom while they were both married to other people, so, he feel a certain attachment to me." 

Derek shook his head. "Bastard." 

The pair made their way to the chiefs office, where Dr. Webber and Dr. Bailey sat with disapproving faces. "Meredith, what are you doing here?" Webber asked.

"Oh I know this one." Bailey smirked and shook her head. "Let me guess. Meredith was bitching out a patient, so much so that the patient decided to attack back, causing the brave Dr. Shepherd here to defend her." Bailey rolled her eyes.

"Is this true?" Dr. Webber asked.

"The patient had clear intentions of physically harming her." Derek replied.

"How clear?" Dr. Webber.

"He had his fist raised and aimed at her." Derek said diplomatically.

"Well then, I don't condone violence, especially against patients, but I think in these circumstances, punishment won't be necessary. Although you will need to speak to our lawyer." Dr. Webber said.

"Okay." Derek nodded.

"So that's it?" Bailey asked with a raised eyebrow. 

"Dr. Bailey." Richard huffed. "What would you have me do?"

"Maybe take issue with the fact that Dr. Grey angered a patient so much it brought him to violence?" Bailey shook her head. "And I am not saying that the man had a right to hit her, but she has made it a pattern of antagonizing the people around her."

"You want to punish Meredith for a man trying to hit her?" Derek asked with anger in his voice.

"No I-" Dr. Bailey started angerly.

"Stop!" Richard huffed. "Dr. Shepherd, Dr. Grey, you both are excused, both of your shifts are over. And Dr. Shepherd, take care of that damn hand." 

Meredith and Derek left the office leaving Richard and Bailey alone, exasperated. Bailey turned to Richard, "Do you think he knows?"

"Knows what?" Richard asked causing Bailey to roll her eyes. 

"That he's in love with her." Bailey replied.

"Oh. He surely must. It's completely obvious." Richard said.

Meanwhile, Meredith and Derek sat quietly in the car. For the first time, Meredith was driving. She had one hand on the steering while while the other was gently holding Derek's injured hand.

(Sorry it's been a while since I've posted, I just have been completely exhausted. But please leave comments and vote!)