Chapter 6

Meredith laid back on her couch, her feet swung over the back and her head resting on Derek's lap. He was playing with her hair, making random small braids.

"Where'd you learn to do that?" Meredith asked, examining the small braid that had fallen onto her face.

"Sisters." He responded simply.

"You have sisters?" She asked.

"four, very girly, lots of kids." He said. "You?"

"Two half-sisters, annoying." She sighed then paused. "We are making small talk."

He smiled at her. "Guess we are."

"That's new for us." Meredith grinned.

"I'm not usually a fan of small talk." He replied.

"What? Seriously? You?" Meredith joked.

He gave her a small glare then softened his look. "We spend a lot of time together we should probably know a little about each other." He said quietly.

"You know more than most." Meredith said causing Derek to raise an eyebrow at her. She rolled her eyes back at him and said, "Fine. What were your past relationships like?"

"Interesting first question." Derek smirked. "I've had three girlfriends, the first one was junior year of high school. She asked me out, I said yes, she asked me to be her boyfriend, I said yes, then three days later she dumped me saying she just wasn't interested in me anymore."

"Oh- poor high school Derek." Meredith said lightly patting his shoulder.

"I was fine. I hadn't told anyone about her and I honestly didn't like her all that much. Then there was my college girlfriend who I did like. She was pretty, funny, and really outgoing. Very sweet. She asked me out and I said yes, we were official about two weeks later then eventually we just stopped spending time together. After about six months I saw her in the library and she had this shocked look on her face. Apparently she had forgotten we were together." Derek went on.

"Seriously?" Meredith laughed.

"Yup. That one hurt a little bit. But then there was my med-school relationship. She was very put together, kind, and clever. We dated for the first three years of med school, then I proposed and we-"

"You proposed?" Meredith asked with wide eyes, lifting her head from his lap.

"Yea, so we were engaged, we had a wedding planned for this January, and she was supposed to come here to Seattle Grace with me." He continued. "Until a week before we were supposed to move here, I caught her in my bed with my friend."

"A week!" She yelled.

"about eight days." He explained a little confused at her sudden change of mood.

"You were engaged, eight days before you met me." She said.

"Um- yea." Derek nodded.

"And if you hadn't caught them, you would be marrying her in a month and a half?" She asked.

"Most likely." Derek answered as Meredith crawled a little farther away from him.

Meredith scoffed, "So how do you usually act. Has this all been you just brooding over your past engagement?"

"What are you talking about?" Derek asked.

"What are you doing, Derek?" She asked at a shout.

"I don't know what you are talking about!" He yelled back.

" You've just been using me to get over your ex!" Meredith shouted.

"No I haven't-" Derek responded, still wondering where all of this was coming from.

"You have Derek- God- figure out your mess on your own!" She yelled standing up

"My mess? MY MESS? What about your fucking mess?" He asked.

"What?" Meredith asked.

"The fact that you don't eat real food unless I make it for you or buy it for you, the fact that you are the least organized person I have ever met, the fact that you're a huge bitch to everyone you meet!" Derek snapped.

"Unlike you who refuses to show anyone any type a reaction. You are like a fucking robot who is incapable of emotion. God- get over your brooding silent act! Just be a fucking human!" She retaliated.

"I'm- leaving." He said as he quickly got up and walked towards the door.

"Derek!" She shouted after him. A shout which he ignored.

"Damn it!" She exclaimed quietly to herself. "Damn it, damn it, damn it." She continued as her eyes filled with tears.

(soo.. whatcha think?)