Chapter 6: A New Mission

2012

Y/n was just having dinner with her family when she felt a certain type of energy radiating from all directions. "Now what the hell is this?" Y/n thought to herself, pushing her chair backward and standing up. She went up to the window and open the blinds, hoping to see something in the sky. She saw a blue ray of light illuminating the sky and furrowed her brows. "That's not natural."

"Something wrong, Y/n?" Her brother asked, making her turn around to face her family. Everyone was looking at her, and she smiled softly, walking back to them.

"I think so. I mean... I just saw something unnatural in the sky." Y/n shrugged, sitting back down next to her brother. "It's none of my business though."

"Do you think it's a sign of the Asgardians?" Her mother asked worriedly.

"I don't know. No one would be looking for me anyway, don't worry mom." She smiled, taking another bite of her food.

Her mother still looked worried, but nodded her head slowly and looked back down at her plate.

After dinner, Y/n went back downstairs into her room and grabbed a brand new diary. "It's only been 2 years, what are they up to this time?" Y/n thought, writing down what she saw in the sky. "...does Sir Heimdall know about this?" She thought, before trying her luck and contacting the watchman.

"Sir Heimdall, are you there?"

"Yes, Y/n. How have you been?" Y/n smiled when she got a response.

"Quite well. It's quiet, lovely, exactly what I asked for." She replied, leaning against the headboard. "Sir Heimdall, did something happen in Asgard?"

"No, Asgard is as peaceful as ever." The watchman said in a monotone.

"I see. Well, please notify me if anything from Asgard comes to Midgard." Y/n replied, waiting and biting her lip anxiously for his answer.

"Of course, Y/n. Have a nice day." The watchman replied, before ending their telepathic conversation.

Just then, someone knocked on Y/n's bedroom door. "Y/n? May I come in?" It was her brother.

"Of course," Y/n replied, closing her diary and setting it down on her bed beside her.

Her brother opened the door and leaned against the doorframe, looking at her anxiously. "Are you going to go on another trip again?" He asked, crossing his arms.

Y/n chuckled, swinging her legs off the bed and walking towards her brother. She placed her hand gently on his cheek, brushing his skin lightly with her thumb. "Brother, the last time I left was to Puente Antiguo, and it's only been 2 years. I won't leave without a reason, I promise you." She smiled, and her brother gave her a slight smile back.

"Just don't do anything reckless, I don't want to lose you." He sighed, taking his sister's hand in his own.

Y/n smile grew wider. "Brother, for the past 20 years, I watched you grow into the man you are today. If I planned on doing something reckless, I wouldn't have stayed for so long." She reassured her, pulling her hand out of his grasp. "It's late, go to sleep."

While Y/n was heading for her bed, her brother looked at her worriedly one last time before grabbing the doorknob and pulling the door shut. Y/n listened as her brother went upstairs, before letting out a sigh and laying down on her bed. She held out her palm, looking at the tiny sparks of grayish-blue magic that danced. She balled her hand into a fist and lowered her hand, closing her eyes.

——————————————————————————
The next day...

Y/n was woken up by her cellphone, which had been ringing for quite some time now. She lets out a groan of frustration and reached for it, checking to see who had been bothering her for the past 5 minutes. Her squinted eyes widened at the name displayed. "Phil Coulson!? Why is he calling me?" Y/n thought, before finally giving up and picking up the call.

"Good morning, Y/n." A cheerful voice greeted, which annoyed Y/n even more.

"Did you do this on purpose? Waking me up this early in the morning?" Y/n shoots back, sitting up on her bed.

"I didn't mean to, but I need your help—" Y/n immediately cuts him off when she heard the word 'help'.

"No. NO. No. I help you ONCE, and that's it. That was the deal. I help you relocate the people that lived in Puente Antiguo, and in return, you leave me alone. FOREVER." Y/n replied with a hint of sarcasm.

"But it's about the Asgardians," Coulson told her, but he earned a chuckle in return.

"Ever better! Now there's another reason for me to refuse. Mr. Coulson, have a nice day. Goodbye." Y/n said in a fake cheerful voice before hanging up on him.

Y/n got up from her bed and used her magic to make herself presentable before exiting her bedroom. She went upstairs into the bathroom to clean herself up. But when she was just about done, someone knocked against the bathroom door. "Y/n... there's someone at the door. Said they were here to see you." Her mother told her. She could hear how anxious her mother was and sighed, stepping out of the bathroom.

"Mom, it's alright. I'll go talk with them." She patted her mother on the shoulder gently before heading for the front door. She let out a deep sigh before using her magic to alter her appearance.

It was an illusion she had been using ever since she became a part of her adoptive family. This version of her had emerald green eyes and dark brown hair, which blends herself perfectly in with her parents. The flaw of her illusion is that she can't change too much. It means that no matter what, she will always look somewhat like her true self. She knew that the illusion will probably not work, but it's worth a shot.

She swung open the door in one swift motion and plastered a fake smile on her face, for she knew who was there. Mr. Coulson stood there, and for a second, he looked taken aback by her illusion. However, he caught up immediately and grinned.

"Good morning again, Y/n." He greeted again.

"My name is Y/n, but I think you have the wrong person." She replied, plastering a fake apologetic smile on her face.

"Down with the illusion, Y/n." He shoots back with the same, unwavering grin on his face.

Y/n's fake smile faded away, replaced by an annoyed frown. She rolled her eyes and let her illusion melt away, revealing her true self. "What do you want?" Y/n spat in annoyance.

"As I said, I need your help— S.H.I.E.L.D needs your help," Coulson explained, handing her an electronic file. Y/n leaned against the doorframe and crossed her arms, looking at the file with a questionable look on her face. "We wanted to gather a group of remarkable people that can protect the people and fight battles that normal soldiers can't fight. We already have a list of candidates, but... we wanted someone who knows magic that can provide some insight into the Asgardians."

Y/n raised an eyebrow when he mentioned Asgard. "What— why do you want to know about Asgard?"

"The person who caused this entire mess is an Asgardian named Loki," Coulson explained. Y/n's breath hitched when he mentioned Loki. Coulson noticed her reaction and asked, "Do you know him?"

Y/n closed her eyes and sighed, standing back up straight. "...Yeah. He's the prince of Asgard, every single Asgardian knows about Loki. But... I've left Asgard for 250 years now, I don't think I'll be of much help." She replied, stepping backward into her house.

"It doesn't matter! You would still help us out if you join us," Coulson urged on, "you don't have to agree immediately, but we're leaving tomorrow. Please think it over." And with that, Coulson turned around and stepped off the porch, walking towards the car and entering the backseat. He closed the car door and it drove off, leaving Y/n standing there, who looked out the door with a perplexed expression.

She closed the front door and walked towards the living room, placing the file on the table and plopping down on her couch. She intertwined her hands, looking down at the floor as she thought Coulson's words through. "It wouldn't matter if I joined them, since Thor would probably be on his way there in no time." Y/n ruffled her hair in annoyance and stood back up. She eyed the file on the table and sighed, grabbing it and taking it with her downstairs. "It's still none of my business."

It will very soon be her business.