Declaration of War

MORNING

The sun rose in the wide blue sky, shining up the whole island, awakening every tired individual in their deep slumber.

A whole new day has arrived, another morning for all the participants in the current special exam to struggle for only one purpose; to gain enough points for the chances of being part of the top three in the final rankings. Winning the hard and complex battle royale, which is played by every student in ANHS to be considered as the best among the rest.

Waking up from his light sleep, Ayanokouji raised his body and found the sleeping Ichinose on his side.

He then recalled how stubborn Ichinose was last night.

“Come on Ayanokouji-kun, get inside the tent already.” she insisted,

“I told you I'm fine here.” I still stayed inside the cave, not wanting to sleep with her.

“But it's freezing outside and I don't want you to catch a cold.”

She makes her index fingers kiss each other while saying those.

“And I already give you too much trouble, so this is the least I can do.”

She said in a meek voice.

I sighed,

What does she mean by that?’

Doesn't wanting to continue this silly argument until midnight, I decided to follow and went inside the tent, together with Ichinose.

‘I have enough problems for today, I need some rest.’

Also there will be no breaking the rules because Ichinose can't be traced due to her broken wristwatch. Unless she'll talk about this, which I highly doubt, then we're both in trouble.

Besides, we're not gonna do anything else, just gotta fall asleep inside.

He sighed.

“Hayst.”

Seeing the face of the peacefully sleeping Ichinose. Ayanokouji forwards his arm and gently caresses her soft white cheek.

“She’s still sound asleep, huh?”

He continues touching her.

While his pair of hansel browned eyes are looking at her with care, without him noticing.

The tickling sensation he created causes the other person to wake up. When Ichinose opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was Ayanokouji’s face. But surprisingly, it's not the same usual poker face, but entirely something else.

“Good morning.” he said,

“Morning Ayanokouji-kun. Am I dreaming or did I just see Ayanokouji-kun smile?” she asked while rolling her hand in her eyes.

Ayanokouji tilted his head, unable to understand the thing Ichinose had said. 

“You must be seeing things.” he responded and then went outside.

Knowing that there's no way Ayanokouji will ever smile even by force. Ichinose just released a soft chuckle, feeling silly yet genuinely happy about it.

“He he, yep I'm just dreaming but-”

it's a great one.’

•••

On the way to the starting point

The time both of them were finished having their breakfast and disassembling the tent. Ayanokouji then accompanied Ichinose to the starting point. She insisted on going to the starting point alone, like what she'd done to Shibata at first, telling Ayanokouji that she cannot afford him to miss any more given designated area or else he’ll receive points deduction.