Day 13.2: Trampling the Pride

Still following them a few steps behind, the hike was filled with nothing but silence. Aside from the invitation earlier, no other conversation followed and the four of us just kept walking, wandering in this vast place. There's a few times that one of them turned their head, not to check whether I'm still there but because they're confused and find my presence uncomfortable. Which gives me the impression that they haven't received any other information from Nagumo aside from the order.

'I didn't expect Nagumo's wariness for me to become a handful in today's situation.'

Moreover the clock is ticking, meaning that there's no second to lose. If he were aiming for the first place, now's the right time to hoard lots of points considering that his group and Koenji's points are approximately close. Well it's within a shadow of doubt that his other members can handle the Tasks by themselves without him. Giving him the peace of mind and putting all of his focus on me, but it's an absurd move in this significant time.

I arrived at the conclusion that he just wanted to show off.

I sighed.

The possibility of him using this particular small group to delay me from gaining points by going full circle around the island is low. I just recently checked his location to make sure and found him still staying in the same block since my first time using the GPS tracking.

Meanwhile the previous pursuers have stopped on their track and kept their distance on me for a while now. I looked into the time then saw that ten minutes more and the first designated area will be given. This will give me an opportunity to predict their next moves, it's either they will still hold their ground till the last minute or will completely abandon the plan then switch to gathering points due to the interruption. Both options have their ups and downs, choosing the former gives them the highest odds to catch me but will risk those groups that are in dire need of points to descend further. On the other hand, the latter decrease their numbers and only those with the same table or closer to mine to be part of the chase but will prolly avoid the lower rankings. But whatever the option they'll choose is, I won't allow them to have an opportunity and continue resisting at the last minute.

I still don't have the information on the name of the student that is leading this large scale operation that goes beyond the classes with one purpose, my retirement. But I'm gonna find out about it soon.

Ting

The tablets then rang, notifying us that it's already seven in the morning, in other words the start of giving the designated area for today.

All of us then opened the tablet and looked at the map. I don't know about theirs though nor have any interest in knowing it.

"hmm .... I guess I'm on the wrong path."

I'd already given up chasing the designated area the moment I heard of the operation yesterday. Or should I say there's no need for me to chase after it.

The four of them also didn't change track and still continued heading to the place where Nagumo is currently in.

•••

Time passed and there I saw the figure of Nagumo standing in the place, grinning widely welcoming my arrival.

"Here you are, Ayanokouji."

I only responded with a nod and scanned the other students that were surrounding the place.

One .. two... five ... seven ... ten..

Excluding Nagumo and Asahina-senpai, there's ten other male students that are present.

The moment the OAA app was introduced, I took my time in familiarizing every student's face and name, not only in the first years but in all the years.