Chapter 33- (another) Battle of Hogwarts

Frannie slammed into a hard stone floor, the skin on her cheek breaking as she pushed herself to her feet, her wand raised as she saw Dumbledore standing in front of them, his blue eyes grave. "I HAVE TO GO BACK!" she wailed, tears streaming down her face as her chest convulsed, rising and falling rapidly.

"Master Malfoy was quite noble," a small voice squeaked, causing Frannie to look down at its owner. "For his bravery, he will always be remembered."

"DOBBY?" Frannie gasped, her eyes widening at the familiar house-elf, who was covered in soot and had several tears pouring down his cheeks.

Dobby dipped his head, his green gaze heartbroken as Lily and Peter watched, seeming rather confused. "Master Malfoy explained he was from the future, miss. Wanted Dobby's help, he did." Dobby raised his gnarled hands, folding his ears back in shame. "Ordered Dobby to leave him behind to save his friends."

Frannie let out a sob, burying her face in her hands as she heard Kreacher apparate behind her.

"Ms. Black, I must offer you my upmost condolences," Dumbledore's tone was solemn as he peered at the grief-stricken group. "However, it seems someone has alerted Voldemort of your intentions and his forces are attempting to storm the castle as we speak."

"WHAT?" Sirius pushed himself forward, his face covered in layers of dirt and blood. "Who would betray us?"

"It does not matter now," the headmaster shook his head. "But you must get to the Room of Requirement and destroy the Horcruxes immediately. It is our only hope."

Frannie took a deep breath, grabbing the locket from her father's hand and ignoring its evil pull. Draco did not sacrifice himself for her to give in now. "Come on," she burst down the stairway and into the empty corridor, thankful that the students seemed to have found places to hide. She could already hear the sounds of a cave troll beating on one of the doors.

Memories of the battle in the future Hogwarts threatened to flood her mind and she nearly turned back to ask Draco if he was feeling the same déjà vu before she remembered that her cousin was gone. Swallowing back a fresh wave of tears, she ran down the next flight of stairs, not having time to glance back at her friends behind as several hooded figures ran up the stairs, throwing curses that resounded against the walls.

She lashed her wand in rage, sending the Death Eaters flying backwards, hitting the bottom step with a sickening thump.

"Frannie, enough!" James looked over at her worriedly from where he was dueling a rather nasty-looking witch in the corner. "If you play their way, you're no better."

Frannie flinched, trying to avoid looking down at the Death Eaters she had so carelessly thrown and gave a stiff nod, throwing a shield charm over her boyfriend as a jagged purple light came soaring his way. "TRY USING A SILENCING CHARM!" she called, glancing over at Remus and Peter, who were taking turns shooting a series of stunning charms at a band of Snatchers. "MAKES CURSES LESS EFFECTIVE!"

Turning down the corner, she barely ducked underneath a flash of green light as a dark-haired women approached, laughing manically. Frannie's stomach jolted. She never thought she would see that face again.

"Hello, Baby Black," Bellatrix sneered, her lips pulled back into a menacing snarl. "I've heard so much about you. Tell me," she took a step forward, her heels echoing on the stone. "Did the future prepare you for this?" She flicked her tongue. "Ultimate destruction?"

"The last thing to be destroyed is death," Frannie breathed, remembering the memorial that lay outside Godric's Hallow after that fateful Halloween night. She straightened, raising an eyebrow at her aunt. "If the worst you can do is kill me, and I'm not afraid of death, what do I have to fear?"

Bellatrix faltered, her dark eyes flashing in surprise. However, she collected herself quickly, drawing up to her full height and pulling a dagger from her belt. Frannie's arm began to burn. Or rather, both of them. "Enough with the heroic nonsense. I assure you," she lowered her voice to a whisper, swinging her wand. "I'll make sure your death is painful."

"I don't think so."

Marlene burst from the other corridor, her chocolate eyes alight with a fierce flame as she waved her wand at the witch, sending her crashing into a suit of armor. She turned to Frannie with a quick nod. "GO!" She managed a gentle smile before turning back to Bellatrix, who stumbled to her feet. "And be careful."

Frannie turned and ran down the corridor, wincing as she took a rather nasty jinx to the stomach, her skin breaking open and blood beginning to pour down her waist. Pressing a hand over the wound, she ran in front of the empty wall that revealed the Room of Requirement, pacing back and forth. "I need the room holding pieces of Voldemort's soul where no one will ever find them."

She frowned as the door refused to appear, a series of bangs echoing down the corridor behind her. There was no reason for the room to hide, she had worded her desire correctly. Her eyes widened. Unless someone was waiting to find them.

She whipped around, waving her wand harshly. "Homenum Revelio!"

The air in front of her shimmered, the surface of the wall breaking to reveal a dark figure.

Frannie let out a gasp, stumbling backwards in horror. "NO!"

Severus shook his head, his gaze cold. "You honestly thought you could defeat the Dark Lord?" His lip curled, "I went through every option in my head, Francesca, and there's no version of this where you survive. I can't be a part of something doomed to fail."

"You let the Death Eaters in," Frannie murmured, tears spilling down her cheeks as she backed against the wall. "Severus, how could you?"

"YOU WERE GOING TO LOSE!" Severus shouted, his skin a ghastly pale as an avalanche of stone rolled down behind him. "I had to do something!" He took a step forward, a desperate lean to his shoulders. "The Dark Lord has promised to spare Lily in return for the information I gave, maybe even Potter if you surrender, Fran."

Frannie's face drained of colour, her eyes welling with sadness. "Severus, you already tried this before." She raised her wand, feeling her hand tremble as she was weighed down by the locket. "You attempted to bargain for Lily's life and she died anyways. Don't you see?" she pressed desperately as a flicker of dismay appeared in Severus's eyes. "Voldemort will make any promise, if it means you sell him your soul. He takes pleasure in toying with people." She bit her lip, her knees trembling as they threatened to collapse. "But we're going to win, Severus, because of what we're fighting for."

Severus's gaze flashed darkly, his brow furrowing in disgust. "That doesn't even make sense—"

He was cut off as a large rock soared through the air, hitting him in the back of the head with a small thud. His body crumbled immediately, tumbling down the pile of debris as it collected dust and scratches.

"Made perfect sense to me," Lily replied shortly, giving Frannie a nod and her hand still extended from throwing the rock. "Go win us a war, Black."

Frannie smiled, the door of the Room of Requirement appearing finally as the threat to the Horcruxes was gone. She pulled upon the handle, tossing the locket into the chaotic Room of Hidden Things, where it landed on a pile of parchment with a small thud. She craned her neck to make sure the tiara was still glimmering on its bust and that the other horcuxes were settled in the center of the floor. She felt a faint flash of nostalgia. This is was the place where she and Draco's journey had begun and now where it ended. "I love you," she whispered, picturing her cousin as she whirled her wand, summoning a wave of dark flames into the space, watching as the surface of the locket cracked before shattering into ash, letting out a bloodcurdling scream.

Frannie slammed the door shut, not bothering to watch the rest as she heard a rage-filled roar echo throughout the castle, reverberating against the stone. She narrowed her eyes, reaching for Lily's hand as they began to climb down the stairs. "Seems Voldy's realized immortality is unattainable."