Ch18: The Concentration Camps

Seol opens her eyes and looks around, taking in the unfamiliar bedroom she finds herself in. The pillow is fluffy and the bed is soft, much much softer than the metal bed back in the cell.

She blinks a couple of times as her hazy vision makes out a figure with bright purple hair standing beside the bed. It takes her a couple of more blinks before her eyes finally adjust and she makes out a woman with cat ears and tail and short vibrant dyed hair.

"Sarang?" Seol mutters under her breath.

She has only met the cat hybrid twice before, and on both times she had her hair dyed in different colours, so the purple hair was a giveaway.

"You're awake," Sarang says, but it's more of a confirmation to herself, then she turns around and opens the bedroom door.

"Joonie!" She calls, "She woke up."

Turning her head around, Sarang throws a compassionate smile towards Seol before saying, "You're gonna be okay."

Seol slowly sits up in bed, looking down to notice she's now dressed in a sweatshirt.

"I put it on for you," Sarang says, her voice soft and sweet, "That white dress was so thin, you were freezing."

"Thank you," Seol says and she manages to give a small smile.

Namjoon walks in just then, nodding over at Seol before asking Sarang to leave them alone. She complies, closing the door behind her.

"Hey," He says, pulling a chair beside the bed and sitting on it before locking his eyes with Seol's, "How are you feeling?"

"Tired," She replies, taking a look around the room again, "This is your house?"

"Taehyung brought you here. Said Seokjin won't suspect you're here cause I'm your boss. I hope he's right."

Seol stares off into the distance for a few seconds, playing with the hem of her sleeves before she asks, "Do you trust him? Taehyung."

Namjoon pauses. "He cares for you, I'm sure of that. He wouldn't leave your side for a few hours after he brought you here. He left the next morning."

"The next morning? How long have I been here?"

"Just two days. I tried to wake you up a few times but you'd fall asleep again as soon as you opened your eyes."

"I haven't really slept in a few days."

They fall into silence for a minute or two before a knock is heard on the door. Sarang walks in, a concerned look on her face.

"Joonie, come quickly. There's something on the TV," She says hurriedly and Namjoon follows.

Seol doesn't hesitate and follows them outside, too, using the wall for support as she makes her way to the living room. The news channel is on the TV, with the prime minister speaking at what looks like a conference.

"...and in respect to our brave heroes of the police forces who have lost their lives fighting off the hybrids and protecting their people, the ministry has decided that concentration camps are to be established in the span of twenty-four hours in order to eradicate the hybrids who have brought about a great deal of destruction to our country. By the end of this month, our country will be free of hybrids, and life will go back to the way it was fifty years ago as it should."

None of the three of them utter a word. Sarang feels her heart drop as the rest of the minister's speech passes by her in a blur. As if he sensed it, Namjoon slowly reaches out and wraps his hand around his girlfriend's, their eyes fixed to the TV. Seol stands in a corner silently, her thoughts racing in her head.

They will kill all the hybrids, she thinks to herself. They will put them in concentration camps and kill them. There's only hope they don't torture them to their death. She thinks about all of those she'll lose. Taehyung, Sarang, Jungkook.

"Jungkook," Seol says out loud, grabbing Namjoon's attention, "I need to know he's okay. I want to go to Jimin's."

"Jimin, your neighbour?" Namjoon raises an eyebrow as he turns to face Seol, his hand still in Sarang's. "You want to go to your place? And what about Seokjin? He'll find you."

"I'm sure he has other things to worry about," She replies, slightly nodding at the TV which now shows the reporters asking the minister questions.

Namjoon thinks for a second, glancing at his girlfriend, then at the TV, then back at Seol.

"Fine," He concludes, "I'll drive you there."

Namjoon turns around, his eyes locking with Sarang's teary ones. His eyes soften, and he steps closer towards her. Holding her face, he slides his thumb over her cheek to wipe her tears away.

"I won't let them take you," He assures her, his voice barely above a whisper, "We'll find a way out, I promise. Everything's going to be okay."

She nods firmly, her lips pursed and her tears still falling, because she knowsㅡjust as much as he doesㅡthat there might not be a way out of this, and everything might not be okay in the end.

---

A/N:

I updated quickly are u proud of me

I have no idea where I'm going with this. Might have to end this book abruptly after a few more chapters and leave this mess to future me who'll be writing book 3.