- cough drops

[age: 7]
written by bieke
@crxscxntmoon

this chapter has been requested by @Blackmartini83 in "Formule One, one shots". With this request it all started. Again, a huge thank you for unintentionally starting this series!

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

Loud cries filled one of the rooms of the appartement and both Charles and Charlotte shot up. It was around 3am and it was pitch black outside. The cries were mixed with coughs that started to sound worse with every cough.

The young couple looked at each other. Though it was dark in their room, their eyes found each other to find the exact same emotion showing, fear and concern.

They both knew what was going on, as it had been going on for more than a week now. Morgane was terribly ill, and they had hoped it would be just a small fever that would last for a couple of days. But this was the fourth night in a row that they had woken up from the little girl coughing in the middle of the night.

Charles ran his hands over his face to his hair and sighed. He felt so bad for her. He didn't want her to suffer like this and him being unable to help at all. Morgane was his absolute everything.

After Jules's death, his girlfriend went mad and wasn't able to take care of Morgane anymore. She was both mentally and physically doing bad, and her seeing her daughter reminded her too much of her death lover.

As Charles was Morgane's godfather, just like Jules had been his, he was determined to take care of her and take her into the Leclerc family.

It had all gone so naturally. She had laid in the arms of Pascale as a two month old baby, as Camille was having full on panic attacks and was taken into the hospital. Jules's own family sadly wasn't in the country at the time, so the only family she could have were the Leclercs, and they welcomed the baby with open arms.

For years Morgane switched between living with Pascale and Hervé to Lorenzo to Charles whenever he could. But since a year and a half, Charles had been able to take Morgane in to live in his apartment, apart from his race weekends.

He had seen her grow up. He remembered her first word being his name, to her first race to ever attend. It had been his first race for Ferrari, which had been her father's dreamteam too. It had meant the world to him. The girl grew so fast, and every day he loved her more and more.

He had promised Morgane that he would do anything for her so that she could live a safe and happy life. He would never let her get into motorsports, he never wanted her to take the risks like Jules and he did. He just wanted Morgane to be safe, happy and healthy.

So seeing her like this broke his heart into a million pieces.

Charlotte pecked him on the cheek and softly pushed him back onto the bed.

"I will go check on her. You go to sleep, race week is ahead so you need all the rest you can get." she whispered. And even though he protested a little, she knew that he was thankful for her going to the young girl.

Charlotte walked over to Morgane's room and found her curled up in her bed. She kneeled down beside her bed and softly rubbed her temple with her finger.

"Hey, ma petite fleur." she said quietly, drawing the girl's attention to her. Morgane forced a weak smile on her face, but her whole body was hurting. She was  too tired to say something. Her illness has been draining all of the energy out of her body.

She always was the happy kid, lighting up every room she walked in. She just had this ambience around her that made everyone smile. But these days she hadn't had that sparkling joy inside of her, and it concerned everybody who knew her.

"I'm just going to get you some cough drops, okay chérie?"

She nodded softly in reply, Charlotte getting up to get the glass bottle with the bittersweet liquid Morgane had been drinking the last couple of days. It was supposed to help relieve her cough and make her throat hurt less, but it didn't seem to work at all.

Charlotte gave her the little shot glass that came with the bottle. It was filled to the 10ml line, so it was a big gulp for the girl that was still so small, but she swallowed the syrup for Charlotte.

The disgust was so clearly visible on her face that it even made Charlotte chuckle a little.

She had grown a lot on her in the time Charles and her were together. She knew Morgane meant a lot to him as he was always talking about her and showing her off to everyone around her. It didn't matter that Morgane was not genetically hers, or his, but Charlotte saw Morgane as her own daughter. She loved her.

She petted the brunette's head after she laid back down and said: "Allez, try to get some sleep, little one. Tomorrow's a new day."

Her smile was weak, she couldn't hug her or give her a kiss on the forehead, afraid that her fever might be contagious and infect her and Charles too. She tucked the blanket in, but not too much so the heat of Morgane's body could still leave.

"Bien dormir, mon petit fleur." she said as she closed the bedroom door. She went to wash her hands before going back to Charles's and her bedroom.

Charlotte ran her hand through her hair and quietly got into the bed again, hoping that she wouldn't wake Charles. But deep down she knew that he wouldn't go to sleep until he had an update on his goddaughter from his girlfriend.

And that was true, he turned around to the brunette to see a mixed emotion on her face. He scooted in closer to her and wrapped his arms around her.

"How is she? Has it gotten much worse since yesterday?" he asked, stroking his girlfriend's cheek in an attempt to calm down her emotions. He knew exactly how she felt, as he was feeling the same.

"I'm not letting her go to school tomorrow yet, and I am going to make all three of us another Covid testing appointment. We can't be too sure, she wasn't positive last week, but maybe it has developed and then we would have it too. You have the race this weekend, you are leaving in two days."

He was leaving in two days...

Baku was coming up and if he was positive on Covid, he wouldn't be able to compete. He didn't want to be sick, but suddenly it didn't feel too bad to be sick anymore if it meant that he could be with his goddaughter through these times.

Charlotte saw him thinking and just knew which scenario was going through his head.

"You are racing this weekend, Charles. I know she is supposed to go to your mom this weekend, but I will stay with her if that makes you any more comfortable."

"But I want you to be at the race." he mumbled.

"No you want Morgane to be better and be able to take her with us as well. But with the current situation we can't. So I will stay with her here in Monaco and watch you from the screens. It will be fine, and after the weekend she will be just like before, dancing around the kitchen to that one Dua Lipa song that is constantly on the radio."

They looked at each other before closing their eyes and falling asleep in each other's arms.

Morgane were going to be alright and they knew it.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*