- press conference confidence

[age of 8]
written by fleur
Mandolin016

first newly written chapter! :)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

No matter how hard the Leclerc's and Bianchi's tried to keep Morgane's life private, it would always be a never ending struggle. The public fascination around the personal lives of Formula One drivers had only increased since Jules' death in 2015. The speculative media had written many articles over the years, and fans had occasionally inquired on social media as to the little bits of available information regarding the young child Jules left behind. When it was somehow leaked to the press in 2017 that Camille wasn't in Morgane's life, and that she was being raised by the Leclerc family, Charles couldn't stop the floodgates that were the media.

In Formula 2, there was less PR support to help him. Anytime he was asked anything regarding his goddaughter or her mother, his answer was the same: "this is a private matter". When Charles got to Formula One, Sauber, and later Ferrari, he made sure to require that the media was told that there would be no talking about Charles' private business. For almost four years, they somehow obliged.

Japan was always an emotional trip for Charles. It was this track, Suzuka, that his godfather, his best friend, had so horrifically his life come to an end racing in Formula One. It was this track that caused Camille's mental issues and left little Morgane all alone. Charles was so grateful that all the other drivers and even many fans reached out to him to offer their support.

During the track walk on Thursday, him, Pierre, and Pierre's twin sister Léa laid flowers and prayed at turn 7 before it was time for Charles to go to the press conference. To say the least, he wasn't in the mood. He grumpily walked to the building where the press panels were held, and looked at the four other drivers waiting for their turn to get obnoxiously grilled by the media.

Since COVID-19 restrictions were lifted at the beginning of 2022, 10 months ago, the drivers were once again seated in the five-per-table arrangement. When the press coordinator called them all in, Charles sat at the center of the long table facing the many cameras and reporters. Lando Norris and Théo Pouchaire sat to his left, and Sebastian Vettel and George Russell sat to his right.

"Good afternoon gentlemen." Tom Clarkson began in his usually cheerful voice, "Welcome to the 2022 Japanese Grand Prix. For today's first press conference we are joined by Lando Norris of McLaren, Théo Porchaire of Alfa Romeo, Charles Leclerc of Scuderia Ferrari, Sebastian Vettel of Aston Martin, and George Russell of Mercedes. Let's start with George shall we? George, how are you feeling about last week's podium in Italy?"

"Well I'm feeling splendid of course! Nothing is certain now and we never know who will win, but this brings us to p3 in the constructors championship so I'm rather pleased with that." George responded. As the Mercedes driver continued to field questions about his P2 drive two weeks ago, Charles began to lose focus. Thought flooded his head about his own place in the championship. The team was in P2 behind McLaren. With the new regulations, the whole grid order had shifted. The pressure was on him to produce a good result this week after he missed out on a podium in Monza.

"Now for Charles Leclerc, if I may." An unfamiliar reporter said. Charles snapped out of his thoughts as he realized the floor had been opened for questions. "Charles we are here at Suzuka where your godfather Jules Bianchi suffered a terrible accident almost eight years ago." Charles raised his eyebrows. What was this about? Didn't Ferrari say he wouldn't be asked questions about Jules? After a small pause, the strange reporter continued "The incident of course left your family to care for Jules' young daughter Morgane due to her mother entering, as reported, a state of unstableness. If you could please provide an update to the public regarding the situation. I'm sure this was very big change in your life, to have to raise a child when you are so young yourself."

Charles was in shock. Who the hell did this guy think he was? To ask about Morgane and Camille, a subject that should be completely off limits. The room was completely silent, as if everyone else was just as shocked as Charles. "Well that is awfully personal." Tom Clarkson said.

"I did not expect this question." Charles responded.

"You know you don't have to answer him." Seb told him. Charles glanced at his old teammate. He knew that he didn't have to respond, no one was forcing him. But no one was correcting the man who asked the question either. How dare he, Charles thought, even utter Morgane's name and be allowed to get away with it. How dare he be allowed to spread gossip about poor Camille and get away with it.

"This is a highly personal matter," Charles began, sitting up straighter "My goddaughter is eight years old. She is a child. Her life is none of your business. The life of her mother is none of your business. I can tell you that Morgane has changed my life, that is true. She has changed my life for the better. She has made me a better person. I know that when I go home to Monaco, I have the most amazing little girl waiting for me. I want to provide for her. She has made me a better driver because I want to win for her, to show her what her father could have done if he was here. I love her so much, but I don't want any questions about her ever again. She deserves privacy." Charles sighed and looked at the other drivers next to him.

"Good job." Seb told him, nodding. The press conference continued on as though nothing had happened, and there were no other questions for Charles. Maybe he had scared them off. He certainly hoped so.

When it came time to leave, Charles quickly left the room and practically ran to his driver's room. He opened FaceTime on his phone, ignoring the many texts waiting for him, and pressed "Charlotte". He waited as it rang, before Charlotte's shocked face appeared on the screen.

"I was watching the press conference." She blurted out.

"Yeah, it was unexpected, that's for sure." Charles nodded and the young couple sat in silence for a few moments.

"You handled it well though. What you said about Morgane was truly touching." Charlotte finally said, "And I think someone wants to see you." Suddenly, a joyous looking Morgane appeared.

"Charles!" She exclaimed.

"Morgane!" Charles responded, surprised that she had this much energy at 9 am in Monaco.

"I am going to spend the weekend with my grand-mere and grand-pere in Nice!" She said excitedly. Charles smiled. He knew this was a hard race week for Jules' parents, and he was glad that Morgane would be there to distract them.

"That is wonderful! What will you be doing?" He asked.

"Maybe going to the beach. But not watching you race." Morgane said quietly as she frowned,

"Japan is a sad race for them." Charles looked at his goddaughter who so resembled her father. His godfather. "This is a sad race for me too." He told her, "Your papa was so special to me. I can only hope that I can be half as good of a driver and a man as he was."

"You are Charles!" The little girl exclaimed, "I think Papa would tell you that too if he was here!" The F1 driver's eyes filled with tears. He managed to hold it in as Charlotte and Morgane bid him their goodbyes so they could go about their day. When the FaceTime hung up, Charles sighed. How he wished Jules was here. But being able to help raise Morgane was such a gift. He loved her more than anything. So that weekend, after his Ferrari crossed the finish line in first place, he said a little prayer for Jules and dedicated his win to him and Morgane, before turning around to spray Pierre and Théo with champagne.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*✧・゚: *✧・゚:*