CHAPTER 3

With the deal finalized and my flight set for later in the evening, I make my way to Aurora's office for a final lunch before I leave. Her office is situated in a sleek, modern building, its glass facade gleaming under the Sicilian sun. As I step inside, the cool air offers a welcome relief from the warmth outside, and the sound of my shoes tapping against the polished marble floors echoes in the airy lobby. The receptionist greets me with a warm smile. She kindly directs me to the 66th floor, where Aurora's office awaits.

The elevator zooms upward and dings open to reveal Aurora's office. I knock gently before letting myself in.

"Hey there," I greet her with a smile as I step into her office.

"Babe, you're here!" She exclaims, though her smile seems tired. Papers are strewn across her desk haphazardly.

"I thought you said you were ready," I remark, standing before her desk.

Aurora sighs, rubbing her temples. "I was, but then Stefano's secretary went into early labor. With the replacement not starting until tomorrow, I'm swamped."

"Shit," I murmur sympathetically. "I hope the baby's okay?"

"Baby's fine, but I'm losing my mind!" Aurora admits with an anxious laugh.

Here is my attempt to add more vivid details:

Aurora stops going through the papers in front of her and glances up at me, a sly grin spreading across her face. I know that look all too well - she's about to ask me for a favor.

I hold up my hand before she can even open her mouth. "No, no way, absolutely not!" I say firmly, though I can't help but smile.

"Oh, come on, please!" Aurora begs, her beautiful blue eyes pleading with me as she leans forward across her desk.

I cross my arms and shake my head. "Don't even try it. I know exactly what you're going to ask."

"Pretty please?" she says, pouting dramatically. "I'm totally desperate here!"

I have to laugh at her exaggerated expression. Still, I won't cave so easily.

"Nope, you can bat those eyelashes all you want, but it won't work this time," I tease.

Aurora collapses back in her chair with an exaggerated huff, still grinning. "Fine, be that way," she says in a silly mocking tone, though I can tell she's not really upset with me. Still, I know it's only a matter of time before I give in - I can never say no to my best friend for long.

"Alright, alright. What do you need me to help with?" I say reluctantly, running a hand through my hair.

Aurora's face lights up. "Really? You're the best!"

I roll my eyes playfully. "Don't get too excited. I haven't agreed yet."

"I know, I know. But with your office admin degree, you're perfect to help get through some of this paperwork nightmare," Aurora says, gesturing in exasperation at the haphazard piles covering her desk.

"Fine," I sigh, hoping I won't regret this sacrifice of my last day in Sicily. "What specifically needs doing?"

"Mostly just filing, emailing clients with updates, maybe helping draft a few letters. Boring stuff, but it's really adding up this afternoon his secretary gone." Aurora moves around her desk and grabs her phone. "Let me call my assistant to bring a laptop for you. And Andrea, thank you again, truly. I owe you big time!"

I laugh as she squeezes my shoulder affectionately before dialing her assistant. At least I can ensure we still get lunch at our favorite cafe later. Aurora may owe me, but helping my best friend is worth it.