CHAPTER 9

Later that evening, I emerge from my room, dressed in a stunning one-shoulder asymmetric Organza cloque dress. The bodice is adorned with shimmering white and gold beads. Anticipation hums through my veins as I make my way to the living room to meet Stefano.

He stands by the door, an Adonis in a perfectly tailored navy tuxedo that molds to his muscular frame like a second skin. As I approach, he glances up from his Rolex, and I watch as his eyes widen, a flicker of appreciation sparking in their green depths as they trail over my form.

His lips move, forming a word that I can't quite catch. Hello? Bella? The latter seems too intimate, too revealing of a side of Stefano I've never been privy to. Surely, he wouldn't see me as beautiful, not when our relationship had always been one of antagonistic banter and begrudging alliance.

"Stefano," I say, waving a hand in front of his face to break the spell.

He blinks, seeming to come back to himself. "Yes, yes. You're ready to go?"

I nod, curiosity prickling at the back of my neck. What thoughts had him so enraptured? But I push the question aside as he leads me to the car, his hand a brand of heat against the small of my back.

A few minutes later, we arrive, and as we enter the ballroom, I feel the weight of countless gazes upon us, assessing, speculating. Stefano's grip on my waist tightens, his fingers flexing possessively against the delicate fabric of my gown. We make the rounds, exchanging pleasantries with his acquaintances, but the air between us is charged, electric, with a tension I can't name.

Just as I'm about to lean in and ask Stefano to procure me a drink, a tap on my shoulder startles me. I turn, coming face to face with a ghost from my past.

"Thomas," I breathe, a genuine smile breaking across my face at the sight of him. He is Stefano's younger brother but an older sibling to Aurora and her sister Melissa. He is the second child born to Lorenzo and Katherine.

Beside me, Stefano stiffens, his hand falling away from my waist. "Is everything set?" he asks, his tone clipped.

Thomas nods, a silent confirmation of some plan I'm not privy to. Stefano leans in, his breath hot against the shell of my ear. "I'll be back," he murmurs, and then he's gone, melting into the crowd and leaving me bereft of his warmth.

Thomas pulls me into a hug, his familiar scent enveloping me like a comforting embrace. "How are you, il tesoro? I've missed you," he says, the endearment slipping out effortlessly. Thomas has always been the charmer, quick with a smile and a flirtatious quip.

"Good. I've missed you too," I reply, returning his embrace warmly, grateful for his presence in this moment of uncertainty.

We fall into easy conversation, catching up on lost time as he leads me to the dance floor. The soft glow of chandeliers casts a warm haze over the room. Thomas pulls me close, his arm encircling my waist as the first notes of a classical waltz fill the air. As we sway to the melody, I feel an intense gaze boring into me. Glancing over, I see Stefano locked in serious conversation, yet his piercing eyes remain fixed on me, unwavering. A shiver races down my spine under the weight of his stare.

Bidding farewell to his companion, Stefano strides purposefully towards us. He taps Thomas on the shoulder. "Mind if I cut in, Brother?" His deep voice sends my heart racing with surprise and anticipation.

"Of course," he replies, his arm slipping away as he drops his hand from my waist. "See you later, Amore." Thomas brushes a tender kiss on my cheek before stepping back.

"Bye, Thomas," I murmur, returning his peck on the cheek with a tender smile.

In one fluid motion, Stefano takes my hand, intertwining our fingers. His other arm snakes around my waist, his palm radiating heat through the thin fabric of my dress. Startled by the sudden intimacy, I tense for a moment. But as his warmth seeps into my body, I melt into his embrace, a sense of comfort and electricity mingling in my veins.