The Second Meeting

Ponyboy didn't see Johnny for another week. He went to his job at the coffee shop and waited for Johnny to show up. He missed him. Ponyboy didn't think you could miss someone he had only met once, but he did. He didn't know what he missed about Johnny exactly. Ponyboy thought it was his presence. He had never missed anyone as much as he missed Johnny. No one. Not even when his old girlfriend went away for a month in the summer because her great uncle had died and her mother had gotten his house. Ponyboy didn't like the feeling of missing someone. He didn't know why he was missing him. He thought it was just that he wanted to know how he was. Ponyboy was curious. Just like he was curious of anyone who came into the shop. He had heard everyone else's story, just not Johnny's. He was intrigued by Johnny. In a way no one had done before. In a new way. A way where his stomach fluttered whenever a thought of Johhny passed Ponyboy's mind. Not in a romantic way. Just in a friend's way. Right?

When Johnny came into the cafe, Ponyboy wasn't expecting it. He was wiping down the tables. No one was in the store and it was ten to, so Ponyboy thought he might as well get a head start so he could leave early.
"Hello, Ponyboy"
"Hello, Johnny."
Ponyboy didn't think he was going to show up ever again, but here he was.
"Could I have a coffee. Black."
"Okay." Ponyboy walked to the machine and made Johnny's coffee. It didn't smell as bitter as usual. It smelt sweeter, like Johnny. Johnny smelt like lilacs.
Ponyboy poured the steaming liquid into a white mug and handed it to Johnny.
"Thank you." Johnny said and handed him $2.50 and put $3 in the tip jar.
"You just tipped me more than the coffee actually cost."
"I know." Johnny looked down at his coffee. He laced his fingers around the mug and tapped his thumbs lightly together.
"I haven't seen you in a while." Ponyboy said quietly.
"I know."
"Oh."
"I'm sorry. I didn't know you would be waiting for me."
"I wasn't."
"Oh."
"Well, I wasn't really waiting. I was kind of waiting. But not really. I wanted to see how you were doing not you. I wasn't really waiting for you, more like," Ponyboy stopped talking. Johnny was looking down at his cup, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that."
"Well then how did you mean it?"
Ponyboy thought for a moment. How did he mean it?
"I don't know" he replied, "I really don't know. I'm sorry."
"It's okay." Johnny said.
"Okay."
The cafe was quiet for a little while.
"Why is this so awkward, Ponyboy."
"I'm not sure. Do you know?"
"No."
"Okay. How did your week go."
"It wasn't very good."
"Oh. Do you want to talk about it?"
"No. How did your week go?"
"I worked."
"Everyday?"
"Everyday."
"Don't you have friends? You know, to hang out with?"
"Do you have friends?"
They were both quiet for a little while. The clock was ticking behind them. It was 8:56. 4 minutes until closing time. Johnny sipped his coffee.
"Why don't you have any friends?" Johnny asked suddenly.
"I don't know. I moved here, for school, and I guess, I just haven't met anyone. What about you? Why don't you have any friends?"
"Friends take time. I don't have that."
"Is that why you come here at night? Because you don't have time in the day?"
"Something like that."
"Okay."
"Yes."
Ponyboy glanced at the clock. 8:58.
"Do you work?" Ponyboy asked as he turned back to Johnny
"Yes."
"Where?"
"Anywhere I want."
"Do you work for someone?"
"Yes."
"Who?"
"Abraham Lincoln."
"He's dead."
"I know."
The clock chimed. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9 times. Johnny handed Ponyboy his mug and turned to leave. When he got to the door he said, "Goodbye, Ponyboy"
"Goodbye Johnny."

A/N: This is part 2 of my fanfiction. I hope you liked it as much as the first one! If you have any suggestions, just let me know! Thank you so much for reading!

-booksarelife

(P.S. if you are looking for another book, try Saints and Misfits by S.K. Ali. Amazing YA book. There's also a sequel, Misfit in Love, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.)