Scones and Feelings

Ponyboy woke up with Johnny's arm across his chest. Johnny was sleeping on his side next to to Ponyboy. They were still on the couch. Ponyboy maneuvered himself off the couch. He looked sat his phone, 7:19. He called the cafe, said he was sick. He never took sick days or days off, so they didn't mind him missing. Ponyboy found some old coffee powder in his cupboard. He put the kettle on. Johnny woke up when the kettle started to whistle. He sat up and rubbed sleep from his eyes. Ponyboy went and sat next to him.   Ponyboy handed Johnny a mug. He accepted it and took a drink.
"Thank you." He said.
"No problem." Ponyboy answered.
They were quiet. It wasn't the comfortable silence they usually shared. It was an awkward silence. One with words left unspoken. Ponyboy knew they needed to talk about things. Everything, actually. They needed to talk about everything that happened last night.

Ponyboy and Johnny stayed on the couch for a while. They sat there. At noon, Ponyboy got up and baked cheese and chive scones for lunch. They each ate one. Neither of them had said anyhting about the previous night. Ponyboy decided he would have to.
"Johnny?" Ponyboy asked. Johnny was sitting on a chair at the dining table with his legs crossed.
"Mmmm." He answered.
"You can stay here as long as you need."
Johnny didn't say anyhting. So Ponyboy continued, "you can stay forever if you want. I really don't mind. I want you to be safe."
Johnny was quiet. "You don't have to pay me at all." Ponyboy continued, "I was lonely before, so it's good I'll have company. I want you to be happy here."
"I need to pay you." Johnny said. His voice was rough.
"No. Don't."
"I do. I'm staying with you. I'll need to pay you back." Johnny looked over at Ponyboy.
"I think the 24 hour grocery mart was hiring. You can check with them."
"Okay." Johnny nodded his head, "yes. I can do that."
"I can check tomorrow on my way to work."
"No," Johnny said, "I can do it right now."
"Okay. I'll come with you" Ponyboy looked over at Johnny. He nodded.

Ponyboy and Johnny walked to the grocery mart side-by-side. When they got to the building, they walked through the sliding doors. A greeter was standing there.
"Hello!" Ponyboy said.
"How can I help you?" The greeter asked.  They had blue hair that stuck up in spikes.
"We were wondering about the job ad you posted."
"Oh yeah. Go to that guy in the green vest. His name's Brian. He can help you."
"Thank you." Ponyboy chirped and he took Johnny by the arm and led him to the green vested guy.

"Hello!" Ponyboy greeted Brian
"Hey! Are you here about the job ad?"
"Yes." Ponyboy said, "my friend was interested."
"Great. I'm just waiting for my fiance because my shift is over, but I could do your interview right now, if you are prepared."
Johnny nodded.
"Great!" Brian said. "Just follow me." Brian led him through a door to the left of them. "We'll be quick. If my fiance shows up, tell him I'm in here" Brian said this to Ponyboy and he shut the door.

5 minutes had passed when a man showed up. A very familiar looking man.
"Keith?" Ponyboy said
"Ponyboy?" Keith said.
"What're you doing here?"
"Waiting for Brian."
Ponyboy hadn't realised Keith's fiance Brian and the grocery store Brain were the same person.
"What're you doing here?" Keith asked.
"My friend is being interviewed."
"Okay. We got a wedding date. July 7. Hope you can make it."
"Um. Yeah, I think I can."
"Great. We haven't sent out invites yet, but we should be doing so shortly."
"Yeah. That's exciting. Getting married."
"I know. I never thought I'd find someone to get married to this early."
"Is it good? Finding them?"
"Yes. 100%. When I reunited with Brian I knew I would never leave him. I could feel something connecting us. I knew Brian was the person I want to spend my life with and grow old with. He's the person I need in my life. I knew that when we got back together. I knew we needed to get married."
"Oh."
"Yeah. I figured I deserve someone who could make me happy. I smile everytime I look at Brian and that will never change. I love him. He makes me happy. Everyone deserves someone lien that."
The door opened. Brian and Johnny stepped out.
"You are looking at the newest employee of 24 hour grocery mart!" Brian said as they were leaving the room, "come in tomorrow, Johnny. At around 9 to start your training. See you later." Brian grabbed Keith's hand and they left.

"You got the job!" Ponyboy cried
He hugged Johnny before he could think of what he was doing, "oh, sorry." He said and quickly let go of Johnny.
"It's fine." Johnny said and pulled Ponyboy into his arms.
Johnny smelt sweet. Like honey. Or a field of wildflowers. Ponyboy breathed him in. He smelt good.

"Thank you." Johnny said when they were making dinner, seared pork chops with roasted carrots and brussel sprouts, "for getting me the job and everything." He clarified.
"It's all good." Ponyboy said. He was cooking the pork chops. Johnny was at the table.
"The vegetables are done." Ponyboy said, "so is the pork." He set both in platters which he brought out to the table. He handed a plate to Johnny with piles of carrots and brussel sprouts and a pork chop. Ponyboy served another plate for himself. They dug in
"Thank you for dinner." Johnny said.
"You helped."
"I cut two carrots,  but I had to stop because I cut my finger. You cooked it."
"Fine." Ponyboy admitted.
The only sounds you could hear in Ponyboy's apartment were the clinking sounds of forks against plates.
"Are you happy?" Ponyboy asked because he was curious if Johnny was happy.
"Only when I'm with you." He says
"Oh."
"Ponyboy, I need to be honest about something. When you asked me out for the first time, I really wanted it to be a date. And every time after that. I really really like you. When you showed up at the dog fights, I didn't want you to see that. I had kept that part of me away from you. I didn't want you to see the real me and think I was a monster because I am a monster. I am a monster. Only monsters sit around and watch dogs be killed." Johnny started crying. He looked down at his lap.
"You aren't a monster." Ponyboy went and kneeled next to Johnny. "You are a beautiful person. You're kind and caring and sweet and lovely. I love being around you. You make me happy. You make me better. I like you too."
Johnny sniffed, "really?"
"Yeah." Ponyboy cupped Johnny's face in his hands. He wiped a tear off Johnny's cheek. Johnny blinked and their lips collided.

A/N: Yipee! Another chapter done. I also think this was the longest so far and it wasn't even that long! Anyways, I'll try to get another chapter out asap because I can't leave you hanging with that kind of cliffhanger. Anyways, I'll post again
Have a lovely day/night,

-booksarelife

(P.S. here is my chapterly book recommendation. Today I have two for you. They are I Wish You All The Best by Mason Deaver and Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Both are amazing. Read them!)