(Lots of) Tears are shed

Their picnic was the only thing Ponyboy could think about for days. It seemed fantastical. Everything had fallen together perfectly, even though it had happened a few months late. Ponyboy couldn't help but wonder what had kept Johny away. Who had given him the fading bruise on his cheek? He couldn't believe anyone would want to hurt Johnny. Johnny was kind and sweet. But this incident made Johnny realise how little he actually knew about Johnny. He didn't know who Johnny worked for, or what he did. He knew virtually nothing and Ponyboy knew he needed to find out.

Johnny came in night after their picnic. Ponyboy was behind the counter. Johnny didn't say much. He got his coffee and then he left. He didn't even say goodbye.

Johnny didn't come in for two days after that. This was starting to worry Ponyboy.

He came in several days later. Johnny's hair was ragged and string. His leather jacket was gone and in its place, a jean jacket.
"Johnny." Ponyboy said as he sat down
Johnny didn't answer.
"Do you want a coffee?"
"Thank you."
Ponyboy started the machine. He poured the strong coffee into a bright white mug and handed it to Johnny. He took it and laced his fingers around the cup. Ponyboy looked at him. Johnny looked at his cup.
"Johnny," Ponyboy started, "would you like to go on another friendly outing, but maybe one that wasn't as friendly?"
Johnny was quiet.
"Or, it could just be friendly, whatever you want." Ponyboy rushed to add.
"No." Johnny said quietly, looking at his cup of coffee.
"Oh. Okay." Ponyboy was disappointed. He had thought Johnny felt the same way about him.
"It's just, I'm really busy and I'm about to get busier, so J don't really have the time. I will probably be too busy to come here."
"Oh." Ponyboy wasn't expecting this
"Yeah."
They were both quiet. Ponyboy was wondering what he did to deserve his only friend to be ripped away from him in such a harsh way.
"I'm sorry." He said at last.
"For what?" Johnny answered.
"For telling you I wanted to be more than friends. I'm sorry if it's made you uncomfortable and I can hold my feelings in because I don't want to lose you. As a friend. I really don't want to lose my only friend."
Johnny looked tearful.
"I don't want to lose you either." Johnny said, "but I have to go." Johnny turned and left the cafe. It was 8:59.

Ponyboy didn't know what had just happened. He walked home with tears prickling his eyes. His vision was blurry when he opened his door. As Ponyboy was walking to his bed, his phone rang. It was Sodapop. Sodapop would call and call and call until he answered so, Ponyboy decided to rip off the Bandaid.
"Hello?" Ponyboy said, his voice shaking.
"Yo, my bro."
"Why'd you call?"
"Oh, just checking up. How's the guy issue going."
"Terribly." Ponyboy said, he burst into tears. Huge sobs. His whole body was trembling in despair.
"Pony, it'll all be okay. Just tell me what happened."
Ponyboy told him everything. The whole story. Their first meet. Their second. The picnic date Johnny never showed up to. How he disappeared for months. How he showed up again. The picnic date they actually went on. And how Johnny discarded everything they had that night. Ponyboy had to stop a few times because he had no breath to tell Sodapop what happened.
Sodapop was quiet, in thought, Ponyboy hoped.
"You know what, Pony," Sodapop said, finally, "you need to find out why. Find out why he doesn't want you anymore."
"He didn't say." Ponyboy said
"That's why you need to find out."
"How?"
"I don't know."
"Oh."
"You're smart, Pony. You'll think of something."
"Okay."
"I need to go, little bro."
"Okay."
"See ya later, alligator."
"In a while crocodile." And Ponyboy hung up before Sodapop had a chance to because no one was ever hanging up on him again.

A/N: This is a pretty short chapter. And This is also a pretty short Authors note too. Oh well.

-booksarelife

(P.S. read None Of The Above by I.W. Gregorio.)