08 |

"Why do you keep looking at me?" Asher asks, as he digs into the ice cream. "It's making me feel self conscious, like I accidentally revealed my abs to everyone. Wait, did I forget my shirt or something?" 

He frantically looks down, before looking relieved that he is indeed wearing a shirt. When he sees that Cora is still frowning, Asher continues. 

"What, do you not like my shirt?" he says and then proceeds to read the T-shirt out loud. "'That's a horrible idea. What time?' You know, I do this all the time, in case it wasn't obvious." 

When Cora continues to gawk at him, Asher sighs. "What is it?" The slightest touch of impatience leaks into his voice. "Did I spill ice cream on a child by accident? Look, I'll give them apology but if you want me to give them my ice cream as an apology gesture, I refuse—" 

"That... thing on your head..." Cora says faintly, hand shaking slightly as she points at the hat nestled comfortably on Asher's hair. "You're not going to walk around all day with that on your head, are you?" 

Asher purses his lips. "What's so wrong with my hat? Do you think just because it's geared towards young preteens, someone as good-looking as me can't pull it off?" 

Cora looks at the hat, pastel-colored rainbow fur on the top, two delicate braids hanging off the sides. A sparkly unicorn horn tops the whole thing off, as tiny neon bulbs flash from the hideous thing. 

"No, it's not because of that," Cora grouses. "It's because that thing looks repulsive." 

"It's not repulsive," Asher insists, frowning slightly. "You just don't have good taste." 

"Good taste?" She points at the hat, splattered in too-bright colors and headache-inducing bulbs. "That is not good taste, Asher. That's something only a person who's been living in a dark, hell-like, cave-like rock would choose." 

Asher looks like he's about to argue, when something dawns on his face. Did he finally realize the hat looks horrible? Cora wonders. Then Asher smiles widely. 

"You know, when we first met, you looked scared out of your mind," he starts casually. "You were polite, albeit looking at me like I was going to kill you any second. Now, you insult me in my face." 

Cora's mouth opens, before it snaps shut. It's true. Usually she would think dark thoughts about people silently. But this time, the insults just seem to pour out of her mouth. 

"So do you want me to apologize or something?" Cora arches an eyebrow as a challenge. 

He gazes back, unflinching. "Nope," he says, that infuriating grin on his lips. "As a matter of fact, I find this as progress. You're comfortable enough with me that you're able to insult me." 

Cora stares at him. "How's that progress?" she mutters under her breath. "I'd say it's more like I'm comfortable making my hatred for you obvious.

Asher shrugs. "Same difference." Then he snaps to attention. "I'm done with my ice cream. I think it's time we find our first victim." 

Victim. Cora ponders on that word. I feel like we're going into a wild forest to hunt animals and bring something back for dinner— 

"You know how to flirt, right?" Asher prods. 

"No," deadpans Cora. 

Checking to see if she's serious — and when Asher sees that she, indeed, does not know how to flirt — lets out an exasperated groan. "Haven't you ever tried searching up how to flirt?" he asks. "No? How about just out of curiosity?" 

"If my sister saw my history, she would be wondering why I feel the need to flirt when I've been perfectly content with just acting normal with people." 

"Okay, then." Asher looks serious. "Just follow my example. If you don't know how to flirt, I'll teach you." 

Before Cora can stop him, Asher scans the mall. Then he moves towards someone, gaze determined. Cora follows, sighing. 

There's a girl on her phone, as she vigorously rants into her phone. "I told him to finish the essay," she snaps. "He said I'm busy and I said you better finish it or else I'll accidentally burn your house down and he said I don't care what you do and I was so pissed off, you literally do not understand—" 

Asher taps on the girl's shoulder, smiling sweetly. She stops, surprise chasing off the annoyance on her face. 

"Hi," Asher says, voice oozing with charm. He leans forward, green eyes burning brighter, lashes lowering flirtatiously. "I like your earrings. They look good on you." 

Then he winks. 

Cora watches as the girl's mouth drops open, cheeks turning pink. She can't seriously be falling for Asher, can she? Cora thinks in disbelief. 

The girl drinks in Asher's features, from the smooth unblemished skin to the green eyes that rival a shade of emerald to the lean figure he has. For a second, it looks like she's going to fall for him, but then she swivels away. 

"Um, thanks?" the girl says, before striding towards the right. "Sorry, I need to deal with my ass of a partner. Ugh, I swear to God, I'm going to kill that kid one day..." 

Asher looks shocked. Cora starts snickering. "Stop laughing," he protests. "I wasn't ready yet—" 

But by the time he tries to defend himself, Cora is already full-on laughing. "You should've seen your face," Cora gasps, trying to fill air in her lungs before she starts wheezing again. "And then her face—" 

Asher's face flushes, embarrassed. "Why don't you try doing what I did?" He huffs like a kid, crossing his arms. "It takes courage to do what I did!" 

"That's why I don't even attempt flirting," she drawls back. 

Silence. Then he gives her a pleading look, one that sends warmth folding through Cora, and she exhales. "What do you want?" 

"Flirt." He sends a hopeful gaze in Cora's direction. "Or at least try to." 

With an audible groan, Cora is about to decline, but the encouraging look on Asher's face stops her. "I guess it doesn't hurt to try," she mumbles. 

Taking a deep breath, she starts walking, trying to find someone suitable. She stops in front of a random boy, trying to remember the flirtatious smile Asher gave that girl. 

She smiles widely, revealing teeth. The stranger looks terrified. 

"Hi." Cora's voice sounds flat, before she forces fake sweetness into it. "I like your earrings. They look so good, I'm seconds away from fainting." 

"Uh..." The stranger is mortified. "I don't have earrings, but okay." 

Cora's face bursts into flames, spinning around towards a clearly amused Asher. "We're leaving this mall," she hisses. "Right now." 

Author Note: 

thanks so much for the support and encouragement on this novel! <333 question: what scene do you wanna see anywhere in the book?