47 |

All of Cora's senses go hazy, like blurring water that sprays onto a car windshield until it's too hard to see through. Her stomach drops, about to tip from the highest point of the roller coaster, as Harper yanks Brielle over her shoulder — and then slams Brielle to the ground so hard, Cora can almost feel the pain. 

Or maybe that's her own pain that she tastes, lingering on her tongue like a buzzing reminder. 

"Don't you dare touch my sister, you piece of crap!" Harper screams, her voice going disoriented. Everything spins, going from dizzying staircases to black shadows that lap at her vision, and Cora nearly retches again. 

What's wrong with her? 

Get up, her mind chants, her fingers curling weakly. You're in danger. 

Brielle laughs, and it echoes, taunting and cruel. "Don't you know what's at stake, little girl?" asks Brielle, voice dripping with derision. "Your life is at stake, so why don't you leave her? Go live your life without being hunted, without being burdened by a selfish person, without dealing with all kinds of hellish stuff." 

Cora squeezes her eyes shut, stomach pitching forward. Something claws at her stomach, as it tantalizingly forces her into an underwater reverie full of self-reproach and guilt. A high-pitch ringing jingles beside her ear and Cora gasps, trying to focus. 

It feels like her heart is being yanked out of her chest, sharp nails stabbing into paper-thin skin, before being thrust out at full force. Strings attach to her heart, each one of them too painful and agonizing, each second ticking by like eternity. 

"Cora?" Someone's frantically tapping her shoulder, rolling Cora around. A blurry face — Yuna, Cora thinks weakly — is filled with concern. "Cora, I know you're hurting, but we have to go now. Something weird is happening—" 

Yuna's voice breaks off, as something sharp falls off the ceiling. It bounces off the stairs, breaking off into smaller pieces, some hitting Cora's cheek.  

Rocks? Cora thinks, gazing up. Oh. 

The whole world is collapsing, the ceiling tearing apart and crumbling. Cora winces, when Yuna yanks Cora to her feet. More rocks crumble downwards, and Yuna goes pale, trying to drag Cora forward. "Everything's breaking apart," Yuna mumbles. "Which means..." 

"An idiot is trying to ruin everything I built," Leticia finishes darkly. "I don't know what he's doing, but it's not good." 

Something rumbles in the distance and then suddenly, Yuna is yanked back, releasing Cora who stumbles to the ground, narrowly missing a sharp piece of rock. "Ow! Let go, you insolent fool!" Yuna stumbles, trying to wrench her long locks away from Brielle's tight grip. 

"You aren't going to ruin my master's plan," Brielle snarls hotly, looking slightly demented. "I'll burn you all into flames before you touch a hair on Dalton." 

"What, do you have a crush on Dalton or something?" Yuna taunts. "Is that why you're so willing to stick with him, even though he's destroying your homeland?" 

"You know nothing." With a furious look, Brielle pushes Yuna against the wall, sharp fingernail poised on Yuna's bare neck. Yuna glares back, chest rising rapidly. Brielle's nail trails against Yuna's skin, as a bead of blood bubbles up. "I think your blood would make a lovely hair ornament, don't you think?" 

Yuna laughs, though there's fear evident in her face. "Elementary death threats, huh? I thought you were better than that, Brielle. You're kind of... weak. Always doing what Dalton said, even when we were back in the academies. Always failing to properly do his orders, making him get pissed at you. Always trying to make up for your mistakes, when you're always going to make another one."