5.1: Metaphysics Of Demonic Possession

Castor & Holloway haunted her mind ever since Dorothy identified them at the store. Kitra couldn't believe nobody ever told her about the pharmaceutical company with Dire interests that her mother was involved in. For the first ten years of her life, she was told her mother worked at the National Microbiology Lab on Arlington. Then the next twelve years, she was told her mother relocated for government work in the Northwest Territories. She was told her mother studied viral genetics, so what did that have to do with pharmaceuticals? If it was true that Castor & Holloway were Dire hunters, then the connection between Imogen and Castor & Holloway would be undeniable. And it would explain exactly where her lupokitene was coming from.

It explained everything. She couldn't believe Theron never told her about the visit after their father died. Frank didn't say anything. Nobody told her. Kitra knew there were secrets guarded by the Dire, but even just this first one devastated her. What else were they hiding from her?

She didn't see Theron until Sunday and he avoided her. He said, "I can't right now," when she walked in on his basement workout. Then he showered and stayed in his room until he had to leave for work.

It made her so angry.

Did he think he could just brush her off now that she was in the pack? Was he ever planning on telling her this, or was she supposed to be content with her mother's mysterious supply of lupokitene forever? Kitra sat in the living room and stared at him as he hovered by the front door. She wanted so badly to stop him and demand answers, but Theron only looked bleakly at her and left. She wouldn't get to talk to him again until tomorrow.

After the door shut, Kitra sighed and tipped to her feet. She knew he had a lot to deal with. The police visit was troubling, and she wished she'd been there to circumvent the damage Theron caused by lying. If anything jeopardized his job, they might not be able to afford bills—Kitra didn't make enough to support the household on her own. But that didn't matter to Frank, who said later that he'd prefer if Theron was behind bars. Because, according to Frank, 'at least Theron couldn't fuck shit up anymore if he was in jail.' Kitra worried that not only could it expose him as Dire, it would destroy him beyond the point of recovery. It was bad enough that Frank, Amir, and almost everybody wanted him gone. But she couldn't stomach losing him. She just wished he was more open with her. She wished Theron didn't make it so hard to fight for him.

Kitra sat in the kitchen and texted Liam. Wanna hang out? You still need to tell me about your talk with Theron.

A few minutes into Kitra's lunch, Liam replied, Sorry, I'm busy today. It went fine, remember?

That was what he said when she saw him on Saturday; the remaining details were elusive. Theron's shit mood was no indicator of the truth, since he had plenty of reasons to be shitty. Liam and Theron barely even looked at each other Saturday morning, so what happened? Everybody was keeping secrets from her.

Right. Let me know when you're free to hang out ok?

Sure Kit :)

Now her trust in Liam was damaged too. She sighed and put her phone down, pushed her hair back, and simmered with her face in her hands. If her father was here, would he embrace her determination or cast her down citing tradition? If her mother was here, would she blind Kitra with promises of importance like she had done to Theron? Would either of them tell the truth if she challenged them, or would they have left her in the dark forever...?

She texted Gabby next. You busy?

Decided not to work today. What's up?

Can't stop thinking about C&H. Nobody else will talk to me.