10.3: Postcards From The Doghouse

It was done. Last night, Kitra broke it off with Liam. She didn't feel any lighter. There was part of her that couldn't bury her crush and languished seeing Liam's reaction. She could have just ignored her brother, ignored her discomforts and powered through on her own self-indulgence, but this felt like the right thing. She did it for Theron. And even if she didn't, the evidence of foul play from Liam should have been reason enough. She did the right thing. This was for her own good.

Liam took it how she expected he would; with grace and calm and pouting eyes, a quietude that forewarned of an aftermath.

He was already leaning back on his bed when Kitra closed the door behind herself.

"I don't think we should do this anymore," Kitra began. Liam immediately deadened. The way he looked at her from his hooded eyes would stay with her—because the first thing he gave wasn't sorrow, but disappointment.

"What makes you think that?" he asked.

"Everything going on with Theron, and Patrick, and Sadie, just... it doesn't feel right."

"What would it take to make it feel right?"

Kitra rubbed her arm. "I don't know if it can. It just doesn't sit well with me, what you did to Theron."

Then he sat up. "What I did to Theron? What about what he's done to me? Or anybody else, for that matter?"

"I know, but he's been paying for it for four years," reasoned Kitra. "He's trying to change."

"He got Patrick killed."

"I don't know, Liam. I don't think he did."

Liam stood. "We have the evidence."

"Only enough to make an assumption."

"It should be enough!" Liam snapped in the only moment Kitra had ever seen him lose his cool. He looked ominous as he bore down on her. Then the next second, he softened, guilty. "I'm sorry. I just—Kit, I told Frank we could depend on you."

"You can depend on me. The safety of the pack is my highest priority. But Liam..." Kitra sighed. "Theron is still part of the pack, isn't he?"

Liam pouted. "He's as good as exiled."

"Well, he's my brother. And I think he deserves a chance to defend himself."

Liam stared at her. His pretty face was sullen and dark, his knuckles whitening. But he stayed standing where he was. "You're right. I have been unfair."

She didn't realize how on edge she was until she let loose the air in her lungs.

"He'll get his chance to tell the truth when we find him," decided Liam. "But either way, I'm going to get justice for Patrick and everybody else who's been hurt by him."

But were his intentions as noble as he painted them to be? "What is justice to you?"

Liam gravitated closer. His warm hands hovered above her arms, his warm body so close he threatened to envelop her. The soft smile taking shape on his lips was like a heat shimmer, treacherous and illusory. "Justice is everybody finally being seen for what they really are."

The words resisted coming out of her throat. "What is Theron?"

"A monster who destroys himself and everyone around him."

Of course. "And what are you?"

Liam tilted his head. He clutched her arms and leaned close. "I'm the underdog, Kit."

Of course! "Well, this time the underdog doesn't get the girl."

"Don't feel bad. That's how the story usually goes," Liam said calmly. The smile remained, looking sad enough to make Kitra second guess herself. "Can I have one last hug?"

If in the slightest chance she had been wrong and Liam was right about Theron, then she owed him that much. "Okay."

Liam slid his arms around her, pulling her close. His nose tucked into her shoulder, his hot breath on her skin a reminder of his touch that she was leaving behind. He inhaled and held the smell of her on his tongue. Maybe he was savoring this last moment—maybe she meant more to him than she realized—but the more she hypothesized, the worse she felt. Liam released her on his own.

"I'm going now," she said quietly.

As Kitra went to the door, Liam spoke up. "Don't forget, Kit: they always root for the underdog in the end."

When she met his eye, Liam gave her a wink. But the bond they shared was gone. She looked at him from miles away and he simply smiled, a marble statue, unreadable. Kitra left with the weight of his reminder hanging in her chest.

Ever since then she felt uneasy. Kitra ended up seeing Gabby after that. She divulged everything happening with Liam and Theron—except that she saw Theron—while they both curled up on Gabby's couch. It was nice getting everything out there. She felt like Gabby wouldn't be torn between sides, since she readily agreed with Kitra that Liam was being a creep.

"Right?" Kitra scowled. She did wonder if Gabby was just saying what she wanted to hear, but would she fault her for that? It was nice hearing what you wanted to hear. "You know, I think from now on, you should tell me when you think what I'm doing is stupid."

Gabby chuckled, sipping her tea. "You won't get mad, will you?"

"I won't!" assured Kitra.

And then Gabby convinced her that going home alone with so many dangers skulking around the neighborhood was stupid, so Kitra stayed at her place. They talked all night like best friends that had never met until then, and Kitra swore she discovered the first person who actually, truly appreciated and understood her.

She fell asleep and felt safer than she ever had with anybody.