5.3: Metaphysics Of Demonic Possession

(CW: Sexual content)

Only memories of the blood caked into his teeth remained. Theron carved through a pond near the farm, dulling his criminal scent. He spent the rest of his walk back to Little Mountain Park jogging through fragrant canola crops and rubbing in common marking areas, gradually replacing the farm smell with the old oils of his packmates, until he arrived at the parking pad close to sunrise Tuesday morning, his carnage just an afterthought of the refreshed scent layer woven into his black pelt.

There was no sign of his packmates here. Theron found his bag untouched. He revoked his canine form and became a man breathing hard in the dirt, saliva and blood running out of his mouth. He dressed himself, shaking and still hungry. The dance in the barn was fun, but it wasn't enough.

Theron hesitated to get back into his car. It remained untouched through the day, exactly as he left it before. He opened the door and sat and opened the glovebox and checked his phone.

Two texts from Kitra wondering where he was.

One text from Frank asking if the police contacted him yet.

One text from Liam, Thinkin of you.

But that was all. Surprisingly, nothing exploded while Theron was out. He expected to return to a police search team, but there was only silence and stillness on the parking pad, just like he left it twenty-four hours ago. He didn't regret what he did at the farm. Theron wondered if anybody would know it was him, if they hadn't been out here to track him.

He was still riding the high of his destruction when he texted Liam back, Just got to my car. What are you doing?

Theron had been thinking about that photo Liam sent, too. After he balmed himself with slaughter, his other cravings came clawing back. The fact that he was still free was a victory Theron needed to celebrate, and the excitement from his bloodlust was still in effect.

He arrived at Liam's house just after his two housemates left for school and work. Actually, Theron parked and waited until he saw them leave, then knocked on Liam's door, feeling warm in the sunrise.

Liam opened the door wearing a grey t-shirt and black boxers. His cheeks were dark with unshaved prickles, but so were Theron's. His eyes lit up. "You stink."

"Like what?"

Liam invited Theron in, then as soon as the door closed, thrust his nose up into the crook of Theron's neck. "You stink like a barn," he said. "Where'd you go?"

Theron leaned against the door. "I just passed through."

Stealing Theron's hand, Liam examined between his fingers and under his chewed fingernails, as if looking for dirt. "Did you run a patrol?"

"Yeah."

"Did you hunt?"

"Yeah. I caught a goose. Stop it," said Theron, taking his hand back.

Liam's eyes darted up. "Why are you here?"

Theron faltered.

The smirk on Liam threatened that he knew what was running through Theron's mind. That, and the strong pheromonal stench of testosterone. Liam walked through the landing and into the living room shared with his housemates, flopping on the couch. "Well? You're here to catch up, aren't you?"

It had been a long time since they hung out just to catch up. Just to hang out. Theron stood in front of Liam, looking down.

"So I'm assuming you liked it on Friday," said Liam, leaning forward.

Theron stepped back. "I'm still pissed off about Saturday."

"I had nothing to do with that."

"You said you were on my side."

"There's nothing I could've done."

"You could've said something!" snapped Theron.

"We both know it would've made no difference to Frank." Liam reached for Theron, pulling him closer by the shirt.

No, he didn't know that. Maybe his elders would have gone easier on him if somebody just defended Theron, if anybody spoke up that he was worth a little mercy. The silence made him feel like he wasn't. As Liam unbuttoned his jeans, Theron pushed his hands away, scorned. "If I was here for that, how far would you go?"

"Friday wasn't far enough for you?" Liam's gaze turned suggestive.

His chest tingled, and deep down in his heart, something moved. "Will you go as far as I want?"

Liam leaned back. His splayed knees invited Theron to look at the tent in his boxers. "I wouldn't have come on to you if I wasn't ready for you. I know what you like." He rubbed himself. "I heard it enough from when we used to talk."

Their conquests were a favorite subject, even though Theron's only conquest was Sadie. She gave him everything he needed. Attention, affection. Not that any of it was sincere. He wanted attention and affection. He could believe that coming from Liam, it would be sincere. Right?

"What did you think of that pic?" asked Liam.

Theron watched him. "Don't send me pics unless I tell you too."

Liam grinned. "Are you gonna tell me to?"

"Maybe."

He pulled down his underwear, revealing his erection. "You know, you could just stand there glaring and that would do it for me," said Liam.

When his friend met his eyes, Theron growled and planted his hands on the couch, on either side of Liam's head. "If you know what I like, why isn't your face buried in a pillow yet?"

Liam caught his breath. "Oh. Well, it could be."

"Then let's get on that."

It was just too enticing to feel wanted again. He liked the power. Liam tapped into his loneliness like it was a trump card he'd been sitting on for years, letting it fester until Liam's desires became oasis to the ostracized tyrant. After all this time, Liam said he had to come to terms with it. He was jealous of Sadie because of it. That he had feelings for Theron—but it seemed he'd only been waiting for the right time to strike. Theron was at his most vulnerable, and Liam knew it.

They crashed into Liam's bed in a flurry of stroking hands. Theron braced above and kissed him, vigorously aligning their stomachs and hips. "Tell me you want me."

"I want you," panted Liam.

"Tell me you love me," dared Theron.

Liam laughed. "I love you, man." He didn't take it seriously.

Still, it made his blood hot. It was his kink, he supposed; loving and feeling loved. That was what really turned him on.

As their excitement mounted, Theron sat up and turned Liam over. He dragged his fingertips down Liam's rigid back, gripped his waist, and leaned forward, one hand on the back of Liam's head. The closer their bodies, the more thrilling it was. He bent down and kissed Liam's neck, then bit him hard. Liam gasped into the pillow. The sense of power and control went to his head.

Theron's heart pounded with pleasure, thinking of his underlying hunger for blood.