Chapter Two

Lucinda sits at the end of the dining table, sipping on bitter black coffee. She watches as her childhood maid sets out the table while chatting with Ander.

Eren, the maid, walks up to the table and places three pieces of bacon on each plate, as well as the waffle plate in the center. She moves away to get the syrup bottle and a scrambled egg platter.

"Are you ready for school, Lucinda?" Ander glances up from his newspaper to see Lucinda picking at her breakfast.

"Yeah, I don't really have much of an appetite," Luci scoffs uncomfortably. She savors a slice of crisp bacon which has been placed out for her. She's never gotten used to it, no matter how many times she's been through it. She gets irritated by all of the attention she receives from being the new girl.

Ander folds up the newspaper placing his glasses on top then says, "If you're not hungry, why don't you go upstairs and change."

Lucinda leans back in her chair, her plate in one hand. She scrapes the remaining food into the trash with her fork. As she places the plater in the sink, she says, "Thank you." Luci then leaves the dining hall.

She hurries up the stairs to her room, yanking her hair out of its tight bun as she closes the door behind her. Lucinda sits in front of the mirror, brushing her hair and looking in the mirror. With a black hair ribbon, she has pulled her hair into a ponytail.

Walking to the wardrobe taking out black low rise boot-cut pants with a black corset shirt. Taking a pair of black shoes from the many boxes. She grabs a thin jacket just in case it rains and her bag. "Dad, I'm heading to school." Waving her father goodbye who says good luck in return.

She locked the home with her keys and hid the spare beneath the enclosed porch. Lucinda hurriedly climbed into her car, fearful of catching a cold on her first day. Before idling down to a continuous rumbling, the engine burst to life, eliciting a snicker from Luci. She connected her iPod to the speakers, and the ride to school was accompanied by the quiet murmur of music.

。∙∶⋆∶∙˚

Like many other things, Forks High School was located just off the freeway. With its maroon colored brickwork and extensive greenery, it appeared to be a collection of identical dwellings.

She promptly parked her car and gathered her belongings before double-checking that it was locked. Lucinda walked down a small stone path flanked by dark hedges to the Front Office entrance. She had to squint as she pushed open the door to adjust to the brightness of the lights inside the building.

The instant Luci noticed her, she walked up to the counter, which was staffed by a huge, red-haired woman wearing glasses. "Can I help you?" the woman asked, looking up from the papers on her desk, which were bordered by a wire basket full of additional papers and a plastic pot with an aloe vera plant.

She forced a grin in an attempt to be courteous. "Hello, and good morning. I'm Lucinda Enya."

"Of course," she said this as she quickly rummaged through a critically packed stack of paperwork, taking out the ones she needed. "I have your schedule right here, as well as a map of the school," she said as she leaned forward and pointed to the papers with her finger.

Luci's lessons were reviewed by the woman, who highlighted the best routes on each map with a bright yellow highlighter before issuing her a sheet for her teachers' signatures, which she was to return at the end of the day. "Thank you so much," Lucinda offered her a friendly nod and a quick grin.