Chapter Twelve

If Lucinda was being completely honest, she had considered staying at home instead of going to school on Friday. The 'accident' would be on everyone's mind, and teenagers were notoriously nosy, not to mention obnoxious.

But staying at home would have worried Ander, which was the last thing she wanted to do, so she had to make a choice. There were comments, whispers, and giggles, nothing she hadn't expected and certainly nothing she couldn't ignore in favor of listening to the lecture of the day.

Jessica finally gave in to her curiosity and tapped Lucinda's arm in Trigonometry. "So, what did Edward Cullen want the day before?" She asked, trying to appear casual, but the glint in her eyes revealed her true feelings. So the interrogation had begun.

"He just wanted to talk," Lucinda said as she fiddled with her pen.

"It looked like you were flirting," the curly-haired girl leaned in closer, her voice hushed.

She pretended to be surprised and blinked her eyes quickly as if startled by her observation. "Did you do it?" Lucinda let out a soft gasp, and Jessica gave her an unimpressed look that made her bite back a grin.

"You know, that was the first time I'd seen him sit with anyone other than his family." Jessica admitted, "It was strange,"

"Yeah, really strange," Lucinda said, twirling her pen between her fingers. She agreed with the most solemn expression she could muster.

Jessica stared at her in silence for a few seconds. "You're not going to tell me anything, are you?" She finally huffed, disappointed.

"Not at all," Lucinda said, not bothering to hide her amusement.

"Damn."

Even though she knew he wouldn't be there, a part of her hoped to see him sitting with his siblings when she walked into the cafeteria with Mike and Jessica.

He and Emmett were both gone on their trip, leaving only Alice and the Hale twins at their usual table, talking quietly. Something resembling sadness prickled at her chest as she realized how long she would have to wait to catch even a glimpse of her friend's messy bronze hair and ochre eyes.

Everyone at their table was excited about their trip to La Push the next day. Mike was talking animatedly, putting his trust in the weatherman, who had promised sun on the weekend. The temperature had already risen to nearly sixty degrees.

Lucinda was aware of Lauren's unfriendly stares, but she hadn't paid attention to them until they were walking out of the cafeteria together. She was walking a foot or two behind Lauren and was well aware of it.

"I'm not sure why Lucinda," Lauren sneered, "doesn't sit with the Cullens from now on."

She didn't even blink, just sighed deeply. Lucinda hadn't expected much from someone like Lauren, but she had to admit she was hoping she was wrong.

Lauren's unpleasant, nasally voice was so full of malice that Lucinda wondered if her mother — or anyone, for that matter — had ever hugged her.

Mike frowned as he looked at the blonde. "She's a friend of mine. She is sitting with us." He stated unequivocally, almost territorially. While Lucinda was moved that Mike would defend her against his friend, she slowed her pace to allow Angela and Jessica to pass her.

She didn't have time for such things.

Ander seemed ecstatic about her trip to La Push during dinner. He was relieved she was going out with friends rather than staying at home alone. Of course, he knew the names of the teenagers she was accompanying, as well as their parents, grandparents, and so on. He expressed his approval unequivocally.

Would he be as pleased if she told him she was going to Seattle with Edward Cullen?

And, yes, she intended to tell him.

...When the conditions were favorable.

"Hey, Dad, do you know where Great Rocks is? I believe it's just south of Mount Rainier." Lucinda inquired casually, sipping a sip of water.

Ander paused in the middle of his chewing, "Yeah... why?"

She paused for a moment before declining to name names. "I just heard some kids were going camping there," Lucinda responded.

"It's not a good place for camping," he said, his eyes widening slightly. "There are too many bears." Ander gave a shaky nod. "The majority of people go there during hunting season."

Are there too many bears? For a brief moment, her attention was drawn to the large dent in Tyler's van caused by the force of Edward's hand. A bear would not be a problem for Edward and Emmett.

"Perhaps I got the name wrong," Lucinda hummed, shrugging her shoulders.

She was jolted awake the next morning by surprisingly bright streams of sunlight filtering through the gap between her blinds. Lucinda approached the window to check, and sure enough, the sun was shining brightly without any clouds in the way.

It was oddly placed in the sky, too low in the sky and appearing too far away, but it was still the sun. The birds didn't seem any more excited than the day before, and their chirping remained consistent.

Lucinda had no choice but to agree.

Newton's Olympic Outfitters was located just north of Forks. Lucinda had driven by it a few times but had never shopped there. Other than her trusty raincoat, she didn't need any outdoor supplies.

Lucinda arrived at the store and parked between Mike and Tyler's cars. She noticed a group of people standing in front of the Suburban.

Eric was there, as were two boys named Ben and Conner, and Jessica, who was flanked by Angela and Lauren. There were three other girls with them, one of whom Lucinda recognized from the opposing volleyball team in Gym.

Lauren was given a once-over by the girl, who whispered something in her ear. The blonde's eyes landed on her and she gave her a scornful look.

Okay, then.

Mike came bounding over, a bright grin on his face. "You showed up!" In delight, he nearly cheered. "Didn't I say it was going to be sunny?"

Lucinda couldn't help but smile at this outpouring of joy. "I never once doubted you." She said it lightheartedly.

"All we have to do now is wait for Lee and Samantha." he chirped before chewing on his bottom lip for a second and adding, "unless you invited someone..."

She slid her hands into the pockets of her jacket, recalling the time she'd extended an invitation to the boy who was haunting her thoughts. "Oh, they couldn't make it."

"A shame really, you two would've gotten along splendidly," Lucinda admitted with a shrug of her shoulders. She suppressed a grin.

Mike cocked his head as if he were a puppy. "Well, you could invite them again the next time." As if to reassure her, he said. "Do you want to ride in my car? Or maybe Lee's mother's minivan?"

"It's fine to ride with you," Lucinda shrugged. "But Jessica gets shotgun," she said louder, as she felt eyes bore into the side of her head.

Mike blinked at her, slightly deflated with disappointment and confusion, "O-Oh, okay...?"

Jessica was overjoyed by her grateful expression.