Chapter Three

Angela, despite her size, was bashful, and Lucinda wasn't much of a talker anyhow, so they walked to class in quiet. As they entered the classroom, Angela waved quickly at her before joining her colleague at a black lab table. Bell noted all of the tables were well-filled, save for one, as he handed the paper to Mr. Banner for him to sign.

As he sat beside the last open space adjacent to the window, she quickly recognized Edward Cullen's untidy bronze hair in the opaque colors of the classroom. Lucinda smiled tightly at Mr. Banner as she was handed the slip and a book before being directed to the only available seat.

Luci slid into the seat quietly, making fleeting eye contact with Edward's nearly coal black eyes. She raised an eyebrow as she heard the little hitch in his breath and paused before setting her book down on the table. "Are you going to vomit? If so, tell me now so I can run?" she asked, not looking at him.

"No... no, I'm fine," His response was a little shaky, like if he'd just finished a marathon.

Finally, the girl turned to face him, taking in his shaking physique. She observed his throat flex as he swallowed forcefully, his gaze fixed on his papers. He curled his hands into tight fists on his thighs, his white shirt's long sleeves pulled up to his elbows, and she noticed the muscle vibrating beneath his pale skin.

"Do you have an issue with me or something?"

"No."

"If you say so," Lucinda hummed, disregarding the fact that his breathing had become labored again and he had immediately looked away and begun taking notes despite having already taken cellular anatomy five times. She typed down information wondering if Edward Cullen was usually like this.

Lucinda couldn't stop herself and kept casting nasty glances towards Edward, oblivious to the way he was staring at her as if she was physically hurting him. Lucinda automatically smelt her clothes to see if that was the problem as he brought his palm to his face and covered his lips and nose.

She shot him a dagger-like glance, blaming him in her mind for making her biology class such a dreadful place, catching the aroma of her perfume still remaining on her clothing.

When the bell rang, she hurriedly got from her seat and exited the classroom with her belongings She felt those wide charcoal eyes follow her the entire way, even if she didn't turn to look.

"Aren't you Lucinda Enya?" She was faced with a cute boy with blond hair and a friendly smile.

"Yup."

"My name is Mike," he says. He blinked his baby blues at her as he presented himself with the excitement of a dog. "Do you need assistance in locating your next class?"

"I'm going to the gym next, so I should be able to find it." Lucinda soothed him, not wishing to be the cause of him being late for his own class.

"That's my next class, too!" he exclaimed, his face beaming. He sounded ecstatic, but given how small the school was, it shouldn't have come as a surprise. They walked together, and his talk, like Jessica's, filled in the gaps left by her expressive reactions.

She went to the main office to return her paperwork when the final bell rang. By the time she walked into the office, Edward's bronze hair was much messier than before, as if he'd been running his fingers through it nonstop. She caught the gist of it, he was trying to trade Biology from the sixth period to any other time.

Was he truly that bothered by their sitting arrangement?

"Never mind, then," His velvety voice spoke in a hurry. "I can see that it's impossible. Thank you so much for your help." He quickly turned on his heel, attempting to avoid her gaze as much as possible, and brushed past her as he walked out the door.