Chapter Eight

As Luci parked her car in front of the school the next morning, a heavy curtain of grey clouds covered the sky, but it wasn't pouring yet. She struggled with her keys when she attempted to lock the door after getting out of the car with her belongings.

They slipped from her grasp and landed in a tiny puddle. Lucinda sighed, but before she could lean down to pick them up, a pale hand reached out and offered them to her. 

Edward Cullen was leaning against her car, a crooked grin on his face when she blinked in surprise and looked up."Good morning," He casually welcomed her, handing her the keys.

"Good morning, Barry Allen," Luci said with a smile. She teased as she locked the van and slid her wet keys into her pocket.

His enjoyment twinkled in his eyes. They were bright once more, a deep, golden brightness that banished the shadows that had formed under his eyes over the previous month. 

"Do you think that was one of your guesses?" Edward was the one who inquired.

"Yup," she said as she walked alongside him towards the main building. It's right next to the words extraterrestrial and demigod." Luci said, her voice solemn.

Edward laughed and flung his head back. It was without a doubt one of the most awe-inspiringly gorgeous things she had ever seen or heard.

"By the way, what was up with the traffic jam yesterday?" Luci inquired, oblivious to her heart's enraptured flutters.

"I wanted to allow Tyler to ask you to the dance," he said with a grin on his pink lips. Edward replied, a sly grin on his face.

Lucinda shook her head, mockingly disappointed, and said, "Evil." She said something while averting her gaze.

"I want to ask you something, but you keep sidetracking me." 

"Am I distracting you?" she asked between her lashes as she peered up at him. When he looked away, Lucinda whispered and smirked, swallowing hard. "Ask away, I'm joking." She burst out laughing.

"I was wondering if, a week from Saturday— you know, the day of the spring dance," Edward began, giving her a sharp look, "Would you like a ride to Seattle?"

"First and foremost, how did you find out I was going to Seattle?" Luci inquired, a little perplexed and surprised. Edward shrugged, a sneaky smile on his face. "That's alarming. Second, and this is not meant to be impolite, but why would you drive all the way to Seattle?"

"I'm fed up with trying to avoid you." After a brief pause, he confessed, his golden gaze never leaving hers. The intensity of his gaze caused Lucinda to hold her breath. "Are you willing to accompany me to Seattle?" Edward inquired, almost pleadingly, in a quieter tone.

"I'll see you in class," she says. Luci walked into English with a cheeky smirk on her face. She suppressed a laugh as she looked over her shoulder to see what he was up to. He was still standing in the center of the corridor, his lovely face disoriented as he stared at nothing.

The rest of the morning blurred as her mind wandered back to her earlier talk with Edward Cullen. It was all so wonderful, the way he spoke, the way he looked at her. It caused her heart to flutter like a hummingbird's wings, and it caused a faint warmth to warm the apples of her cheeks, which was an extremely rare occurrence. 

She hadn't felt like this in a long time. And Lucinda resolved to savor these lovely sentiments for as long as she had them, whether or not they were returned, because they made her happy.