Chapter Five

Before making a decision, she took a long, contemplative glance at her father. "What are your thoughts on the Cullens?" Luci asked a modest question.

"Dr. Cullen's family? Sure. He's a great man."

"His children appear to be kind, if a little eccentric," Luci stated truthfully, taking a slow drink of cool water as she recalled Alice's beautiful smile. "However, they don't appear to blend in with the others."

"Dr. Cullen is a wonderful surgeon," says the patient. As he defended the doctor and his family, his voice became louder. "We're fortunate to have him; he's a valuable asset to the community, and all of those kids are respectful and well-behaved. They're all quite mature, and they stick together as a family should on every other weekend camping trip." Ander completed his tirade by shoveling lettuce into his mouth and chewing it.

He seemed to be a big fan of the Cullens. "They're courteous, too," Luci said with a little smile. They were perhaps the only ones that didn't stare at me the entire week." She continued, "And they're extremely attractive."

They lapsed into silence after that, finishing up their meals before Luci decided to speak again, "Since you're such a fan of the Cullens, may I join Alice and Rosalie on a shopping trip?"

Ander narrows his eyes at Lucinda the speaks," Go ahead, I don't mind," He stuffs more chicken in his mouth, "I'm just happy your making friends." He says with a mouthful.

。∙∶⋆∶∙˚

Something was different when Lucinda opened her eyes the next morning she could see it in the light spilling through the cracks in the curtains. She moved the curtain to the side and peered out the window as she stood up from her bed. Luci exclaimed gently as she gazed at the fine layer of snow that blanketed the entire yard, powdering her car and trees like powdered sugar.

The rain from the day before had frozen, leaving delicate, beautiful patterns on the needles on the branches and a thin layer of ice on the driveway. Ander had already left for work by the time she was walking down the stairs to eat some breakfast, consisting of a bowl of hot oatmeal.

Her boots' hold on the slick ice kept her steady, and she made it safely to the warmth of her vehicle. She passed the time on the way to school comparing Cullens to the boys who were continuously hovering around her. There was a clear distinction between each of them.

Whereas Mike and Eric were rowdy and eager, visibly competing for her attention, the Cullens were much more subtle with their velvety voice and coy stares and carried themselves with the impossibly elegant grace.

Despite the layers of frozen water on the tarmac, Lucinda arrived at the parking lot without incident. She got out of her car, her phone in hand, with her suspicions as to why. In the morning light, the thin chains crisscrossed in diamond shapes around her wheels glittered back at her. She smiled softly to herself as she sent Ander a quick text.

A high-pitched screech that became louder by the second, painfully familiar. Lucinda looked up from her bag, both annoyed and morbidly amused that a car was going to end her life again. She looked away from the dark blue van that skid across the slippery road, tires locked and squealing against the brakes and locked eyes with Edward Cullen. He was standing exactly four cars away, a horrified expression on his beautiful face. When she blinked, he was gone.

Something collided with her and Lucinda jerked, not expecting anything coming from the opposite side of the van, smacking the back of her head against the side of the truck before being pinned to the ground as the van curled around the front of it. The van was still moving, though, seemingly determined to crush her one way or another.