4. Are we meant to be together

His house had two storey occupying a huge place. But it has a antique touch to it that depicted its years of existence. There were painting hanging in the walls. It felt homely despite the outlook.

But one thing proved my thoughts wrong. I thought that he'll be alone with his father. But there were nearly four members in the house. He introduced them as his aunt and uncle. The other two people were their daughters. I felt their attitude as something fake. Anyways I didn't want to make judgements quicker.

I was given a room in the first floor. It was spacious and had windows from were I had a beautiful view of the farm. There were people who worked with sweat yet carried a brighter face. I took a picture through my mobile. I heard a knock at my door.

Vimal stood there looking the other side and said "Everyone are about to shop for needed things. I hope you need the same. Can you come and have food downstairs?"

I just looked at him for few seconds folding my hands. He waited for my answer and turned towards me when I didn't give one. He noticed my posture and raised one of his brow as a question.

"Do you have a problem with me? If yes, I'll leave now" I said firmly.

His eyes expressed shock. He immediately said, "Pooja, It's nothing. I just have an headache".

"I don't think so. You keep avoiding to speak with me. It's just a day after you asked me to be your friend. I need the truth right now. Or else I'm leaving the place" I informed him and went back to pack my things.

He rushed behind me and held my right hand to stop me.

"Please it's not about you. It's just.." he struggled to continue.

I felt bad for forcing him to reveal his problem. I could understand that he is suffering from something.

"I'm really sorry. It's just my temper. I really want to help you" I said with a genuine affection. I don't why does his feelings bother me this much. But I guess I'm light hearted.

He sat in the bed and asked me to sit beside him. I followed his words. He started speaking about his life,

"I don't think anyone could help me go through this. Everything was fine until three years ago. She was more than a mom. She was more of a best friend to me. I share little things that happen in a day. I never left her for any trips or vacation. I and my father never spoke much. It was my mother who linked us. I ask all things I need through her.

My father always works and he never spends time with me. He is alway busy with his business. But I never cared about that since I had mom. She took care of my all needs. But three years back when she died after falling sick for a weak, my life shattered. We tried to hard to save her but all in vain. The house filled with her presence turned into hell. That was the time I had to choose a degree for my college.

I wanted to become a lawyer and fight for the people who could never afford in cases involving them. But dad had other ideas. He wanted me to take a course in business and take up his business. We had a fight over this. I choose law which angered him. He stopped the  little conversations we had. Then he asked his relative family to occupy a portion. They were cheating amounts from him. But he never listened to me. I miss my mom. I wouldn't feel this horrible if she was here"

He closed his face through his hands. Tears started rolling from his eyes. I didn't know how to comfort him. I just patted on his shoulders.
He wiped his face and turned towards me.

"You behave so much like her. I wanted to be more than a friend with you. But I know this can't happen. I didn't want to put you into trouble. And I'm sorry for ignoring you" He said and left the place immediately.

I was stunned by this. 'I wanted to be more than a friend with you'. What did he mean by that? I'm going crazy. I could feel something different inside me.

Are we really meant to be together?

_____________________________________________