Chapter 51

The phone rang early the next morning, Justin slept through it but me being the light sleeper that i am, woke the first ring.

"Hello?" I answered, my voice was crackly but i tried to clear it as good as possible without coughing into the phone.

"Hello, i'm looking for Jessica Rogers? This is the Atlanta Police Department." The woman spoke into the phone.

I sat up in bed. "This is she."

"We've got a Ben Rogers, he insisted we call you. Do you agree to speak to him?"

I remained speechless, i was unsure of what to say. "Um, is there a reason he needs to speak with me?" I asked, unsure of what to say. It was the first thing that popped into my mind.

"Ma'am your father was picked up last night for trespassing, and disturbing the peace."

"Uh, yes i'm aware." I answered.

"Will you be the one picking him up?" She asked me.

I looked at Justin, still sound asleep. I was completely unsure of what to do. "Um, yes. I'll be there to pick him up."

"Alright then."

I hung up the phone and got out of bed. I jumped in the shower, and then dried off quickly, not bothering to dry my hair. I applied a small amount of make up just to make myself look a little more alive and awake than i really was. I dressed in a pair of jeans a long cardigan, a very lazy outfit.

I didn't want to wake Justin, i knew he'd try and make me stay if he was awake. I snuck down the stairs, not even bothering to make myself coffee.

I hopped in the car and drove down to the police station. It feels like i came here one too many times on behalf of my father.

The place with the curled barbed wire fence all around it scared me a little too much. The place seemed so familiar to me since the last time i've been here. I walked in through the big heavy front doors and into the front desk.

The woman behind the desk smiled at me a little bit. "Hello there." She seemed friendly, but was being serious for work purposes.
"I'm Jessica Rogers, somebody just called me about my Father, Ben."

She began to look through some files and papers, she pulled a smaller one out. "Ben Rogers?" She asked.
I nodded my head. "I'm just going to need you to walk through the small medal detector," she pointed over to the left.

She met me over to the detector and waited behind the line. "Come on through." I walked through the machine and it never beeped. "Follow me." She said, turning the corner walking up to a big steel door and then down a long hallway.
We walked up to a door with a small glass window in the middle, I looked in through the window and sure enough he was in there sat down at a table, cuffed.

"Are you here to pick him up?" She asked.
I nodded my head, yes.
She opened the door for me and his head immediately shot up and looked at me. A wave of relief seemed to hit him, which was odd.

"Oh Jessica." He stood up and walked over to me. "I knew you'd come to pick me up." He was smiling.
The guard closed the door so it was just him and me in the room.

"Dad, sit down." I said, walking over to the table with him.
We both took a seat, and he just stared at me blankly. "Look where you are. You're in prison for god sakes, again i should add. You cannot keep showing up and flipping out the way you do."

"Jess i don't mean to, it's my way of showing i care and that i want you guys back. I truly love you and Pattie and Justin, all i want us to be a family again."