Chapter V

Her own words repeated in her head, over and over; each time she remembered their faces upon hearing her commands, it made her heart flutter even harder.

"Cassandra, dear; prepare the chamber for the 'meeting'."

Lady Dimitrescu walked with a constant smirk on her face, the excitement of what would be soon to come radiated easily out of every inch of her large figure.

"Daniela, darling; make sure she has her own special cell ready down in the cellar—she's going to be there for a while."

She could already here her lovely daughters' laughter echoing around the great castle's hallways, undoubtedly following her orders—gladly getting prepared for the night's events.

"And Bela, sweetheart; lure the ungrateful little rat to the chamber—do not let her suspect of our intentions..."

Not even Alcina could contain her eagerness as she picked up her pace; she had never been this excited before, not even if she were starving for fresh human flesh and blood—this only made her wonder just how much she came to care about this one certain maiden. Within the span of a few months, [N] had become someone quite important for the Countess, and just as important for her daughters; the Dimitrescu ladies were about to sacrifice a maid for her, after all.

"But it is what she deserves..." Alcina grinned, her amber-colored orbs shining even brighter than ever. "Nobody messes with my maiden and gets away with it."

No caring much about it, the Countess pushed open rather harshly the dining room doors, letting in sight the beautiful garden. The late sunrays tinted with oranges and reds the whole space, giving a somewhat bloody aspect to it; somehow appropriately anticipating, kind of foreshadowing what would happen that night in the castle. It just made the Lady smirk as she bent down to retrieve her once forgotten long cigarette holder, previously dropped by herself after Bela startled her.

She cleaned it with a napkin, smiling to herself. And just as she was about to turn back, and head towards her chambers, she heard something.

Voices.

Alcina turned slightly, picking up some of the words spoken rather loudly—[N]'s voice sounded a little clearer as the Countess moved towards the voices, and this made her heart thump faster.

"I know it was you, Stela! Why? Why are you doing this to me?" There was a pause; a tense silence took over the brief moment nobody dared speak out loud, and Lady Dimitrescu finally figured out where the voices were coming from—the maids' sleeping quarters. "What have I done to you?"

"What have you done? More like what you have not done, at all!"

The Lady slowly made her way to the single door at the farthest corner of the gardens, and stood by it quietly. She had not drawn the maidens' attention, but she could easily see the both of them if she leaned over, and looked through the small window located next to the door. There barely was any natural light left, as night soon would take over, but Alcina could still see them—could still see [N] quite distraught, arguing with that rat.

"What—"

"I break my back every day cleaning those chambers, leaving everything bright and tidy, and all I get is a mere glance and a dry 'you can retire to your sleeping quarters now', while all you do is cook and clean that damned wine room!" Stela spat angrily, almost stomping on the tiled floor like a child in the midst of a tantrum. She looked ridiculous, Alcina so thought. "And, somehow, you have gotten all of the ladies' attention all to yourself, by doing practically nothing!"