Chapter 1

"Alexandria! Miguel! Hurry up and get down here!!!!" I hear Abuelita yell. Miguel and I share a quick annoyed glance as we walked out to the court yard. I see Abuelita with Mamá Coco and me and Miguel walk over to see what she wanted. She led us into the ofrenda room and told us to start decorating and setting up the offerings. But right before I was about to start decorating Abuelita grabbed my hand. "Follow me mija" she said. So I did. She led me to her room, which was strange since she never let anyone in there. She reached under her bed and took out a white box. She then motioned for me to come over. I was standing beside her looking confused, then she looked over to me and smiled. She opened the lid to the box. "This was your Mamá Imelda's dress, she wore it every Día de los Muertos. And I think you should have it"
            I gasped slightly, a bit taken back that Abuelita would think Mamá Imelda would want me to have something to beautiful. It was an ankle length, dark purple dress with white and blue flowers going around the bottom of it. I slowly took it from Abuelita and looked at it. "Are you sure? I mean how can you be so sure that she would want me of all people to have something so beautiful." I asked quietly, without taking my eyes of the dress. "I just know mija, if she got to meet you she wouldn't have had anyone else in the world to have this dress." Abuelita said smiling. I returned the smile and then put the dress back into the box and into my room to make sure it was safe. Then I went back to help Miguel with the decorating.
             I look up to the top of the ofrenda and see the picture of a little Mamá Coco and our Mamá Imelda. Everyone always tells me I look like her twin, I couldn't see it until I was old enough to realize what that actually meant. Though I can't see the resemblance when I see her on Día de los Muertos because... well because she's a skeleton. The only resemblance I can see clearly is the smile - we have the same smile - and in the annoyed looks she gives Tío Oscar and Tío Felipe because that's the same look I give my brother and my younger cousins, sometimes my older cousins when they insult my brother.
                There was this one time that my brother was being bullied by these 7th grade boys when we were in 5th grade, I remember it like it was yesterday!!!
Flashback
          I was walking around the playground during recess to try and find Miguel. When I had finally found him he was on the ground curled up in a ball, trying to protect himself from the older boys that were kicking him and laughing. In that moment all I remember was seeing red. I took of my shoe, dropped my book, and was there so fast I didn't even know how I got there until my shoe connected with the boys jaw. I remember he fell to the ground crying out for his Mama. I told the teacher the truth because I realized there was no point in lying about what I had done, I had gotten into no trouble because Señora Rodriguez because she saw it as a sister protecting her brother, that and she was afraid of me.
End of Flasback
                  "Miguel?" I asked him. "Sí Alexandria?" He said turning to face me fully. "When we finish want to go and play guitar for a while?" I asked quietly, hoping no one heard me. "Of course!!" He said with a broad smile. He always got very excited when I wanted to play guitar with him.
              I didn't play very often because I was afraid of getting caught, but when I did Miguel was always very excited.
              We walked over to Mamá Coco to talk to her a bit, we've always talked to her about everything even though we know she doesn't know who we are.
               "Hola Mamá Coco!" Me and Miguel said that the same time. She turned to Miguel and said "Hola Julio." Miguel sighed, then she turned to me "Hola Mamá." Since her Alzheimer's started getting worse a few years ago she had always confused me with Mamá Imelda and Miguel with Papa Julio.
                 Me and Miguel never had the heart to correct her so we just went along with it most of the time. It didn't bother me much though, I knew she was sick and was living in a different time other than our own.
                      Me and Miguel were about to start telling Mamá Coco about our day when Abuelita came into the ofrenda room. "Come inside, dinner is ready" she told us and then walked back inside. She knew I would wheel Mamá Coco back inside the house because I've been doing that since I was 8, I've never once complained about it because so try to get as much time with Mamá Coco as I can.
                                Time skip
                             (After dinner)
              Me and Miguel told our familia we were going for a walk before it got to dark out.
              "Dante!!" I said happily as the Xolo dog bounced over to me and Miguel, we both pet him and then continued walking. 
              Me and Miguel crawled through the small whole in the roof of an old building to get to our spot. "Here" Miguel said handing me the guitar he had made for me when we were 10. It was a dark brown color with some flowers painted on it.
              I took the guitar and sat next to Miguel as he lit the candles and turned on the small box tv with the tape of Ernesto De La Cruz.
               As the De La Cruz started singing me and Miguel played along with him, and then started to sing along. Both of our voices were soft and full of youth while De La Cruz's voice was soulful and strong. Miguel used to say our voices matched perfectly with De La Cruz's, and I couldn't disagree.
                                  Time skip
           (The next night in the ofrenda room)
         Me and Miguel were currently setting up the marigold flowers in the ofrenda room. It was nice and quiet and we had Mamá Coco in the room with us which always put me in good spirits.
             Dante was suddenly in the room, he startled me a bit because I hadn't heard him come in. I then heard Abuelita coming towards the ofrenda room with Mamá and Papa. Me and Miguel hid Dante under the table.
             "Oh there you two are!" Abuelita said in a very cheerful tone. I was confused as to what she was so happy about, and the look on Miguel's face told me he was confused as well.
              Abuelita took one of my hands and one of Miguel's hands and held them in her own. "You two don't have to shine shoes anymore!!! You'll be working in the shop making the shoes with all of us!!" She said with a smile so big I thought her face would fall off.
             I put a very happy and excited look on my face but inside I was filled with dread. I never had any desire to make shoes, and neither did Miguel. Mama and Papa walked up to each of us and put on our leather aprons that I thought were very uncomfortable.
              When they walked out that was when me and Miguel realized Dante was eating the chicken! "Dante no!!!!!" Me and Miguel both yelled. We ran to pull him off the table but his front claws were dragging the cloth with him. I let go and was about to tell Miguel to let him go as well but then a photo fell off the ofrenda and I tried to catch it but failed.
             It was then I realized which picture it was. I went wide eyed and gasped in shock. Miguel was already on the floor picking it up. The picture moved in a funny way that caught my attention.
             I saw that there was another person beside Mamá Imelda an Mamá Coco. It was a man dressed in a white suit holding a guitar I instantly recognized. I looked up to see Miguel staring at me with wide eyes and his mouth hanging open.
               "Close your mouth Miguel you look like you are catching flies!" I scolded him, I get my attitude from Abuelita and Mamá Imelda apparently. He quickly closed his mouth at the tone I used. We cleaned up the glass and Miguel put the picture in his pocket.