Chapter 3

Laura's heart was broken by the time she walked into her village square. To her surprise, there was a young man on horse-back dismounting in front of the central fire pit. Confused, but still very upset, Laura cautiously walked over to him.
"Hello, Miss!" he said cheerfully, "My name is Bayne, and I am obviously not from here," he said with an airy laugh as he gestured to the village surrounding him and his horse.
"Hello," Laura replied tensely, "Can I assist you in some way, Sir?"
"Oh, don't bother calling me 'Sir', m'lady! I'm just Bayne."
"Ok then, Bayne, what may I do for you?"
"Well, I'm just passing through, and I need a place to stay. Do you know of somewhere?"
"Yes, you can stay in the community stable," Laura said matter-of-factly.
"Oh, that's perfect!" Bayne chirped as he started to walk toward the stables.
Laura followed him because she figured that he would need some help with his saddle bags an makeshift straw bed.
"When I was riding through the capitol, I heard that a prisoner, about eighteen years old, had been captured and sentenced to death. However, I also heard that the Queen was giving him a second chance to confess to his wrongs, whatever they were, and she would let him live! But, the buzz wasn't about that part of the story, but what came next!" Bayne paused, "But why am I telling you this? You probably don't even care."
"WHAT? DID YOU SEE HIM? WAS HE OK? WILL HE LIVE? DID SHE ASK HIM QUESTIONS?" Laura practically screamed this.
"Well, yes I did see him, but why would you care? You've probably never even met him, but if you must know, he had light ash brown hair, and sea green eyes, but that does't really matter to you does it?"
"As a matter of fact, yes, it matters immensely! The boy you are speaking of is my brother! He was taken yesterday by the Queen and her wicked men! Before she left, Her Highness stated that he would be executed the following day. If what you say is true, then he could still be alive?" Asked Laura anxiously.
"Why didn't you say so before! Because of the kindness you have shown me by letting me stay in your wonderful village, I am willing to help you in the search of you brother," Bayne said with a courteous bow.
"Um... Uh. Yeah; thanks," Laura replied finally beliving her brother may have a chance of rescue.