Chapter 7

"Bayne! Bayne, where are you?" Laura called as she stumbled through the forest with her hands cupped to her mouth.
"Oh, Laura! I- uh, is breakfast ready so fast?" Bayne asked quickly.
"Why are you all the way out here? Is the view better or something? You do remember that we are in the Forgotten Woods, right?"
"Oh, that! I was just getting ready to gather some of those-uh- berries over there. Yea, that's what I was doing... Before I heard the spooky cry in the darkest part of the woods," Bayne finished his sentence with a loud 'BOO' in Laura's ear that made her jump.
"BAYNE!" She yelled as she lept straight at him with a screech.
Bayne caught her, but put her down immediately when they had stared at each other for way too long.
Bayne cleared his throat. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Yea, um sorry."
"I'm gonna go fix breakfast. Would you please bring me some of those berries? I could quite posssibly make oatmeal with those berries mixed in."
"Sure, I'll try to get some extra for a snack on the road. What about that?"
"That sounds fine, Bayne," Laura said as Bayne didn't move, "Bayne is everything ok? Why are you looking at me like that? BAYNE! Are you listening to me at all?"
"Yes m'lady. Sorry. I'll go right now," Bayne answered.
*************************************
Jaria
Jaria flashed a green light over Petar's forehead.
"Please come back to me; I don't want to be more of a murderer than I already am."
She rubbed his arms to see if there was any warmth to them, but she knew that she would find none. She prayed silently as she realized that she was the witch that everyone knew her as. She had used so many excuses like, I have had so much hurt, why can't I inflict pain on them. She was astounded at the woman that she had become. The real truth was harder than she expected, but it hit her there in that moment. She was a monster because of herself and no other reason. It was her fault, no one else's. She fell to the floor and wept, but where she regained her strength, she hauled her body up to her room and cried once more. Her parents would be so disappointed, not to mention how disappointed she was in herself. Her grief was great, but she couldn't take a life and then give it back. Her adoptive nephew had died at her hands with no explanation. That was unacceptable.