Chapter 8

Laura and Bayne had been in the Forgotten woods for nearly four days. Bayne was gettng restless, so he decided to wake Laura up extra early in the morning to travel all day. However not everything went as he planned. He crawled over to Laura's mat and blanket to wake her, but she was gone. Bayne's heart skipped a beat. Where was she? Just as soon as he had thought this, he jumped as an icy hand closed around his throat. He froze knowing that his captor was strong because he easily knocked him out with one punch to the head.
*************************************
"Bayne? Bayne! Please wake up!"
Bayne couldn't make out the vioce that was calling him out of his sleep. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, Bayne opened his eyes and blinked several times before his vision adjusted. He expected to wake up with a splitting headache, but he felt pretty much normal. However, he couldn't think striaght, but as thhe seconds passed, his mind raced with the thoughts of his captors. Where were they? All of a sudden, he remembered that the wasn't alone. He looked to his right; no one there. On his left sat, Laura. Without thinking, Bayne rushed over to her and pulled her into a huge hug. They embraced for along time, but neither of them wanted to let go. They had grown close over the days in the Forgotten Woods. As they pulled away, Laura whispered, "How are we ever going to get out of here?"
"Don't you worry, Laura. You get some sleep, and I'll resolve a plan."
To his amazement, Bayne watched Laura as she pulled her cloak tight around her body and fell asleep with a conforted smile on her face. In that moment he knew that she trusted him with her life.
*************************************
He began to think of a plan. They were only twenty-two miles from the castle. If they could make a break for it then they may be able to make it by sunset. If only he knew what time of day it was. He looked up and noticed that there was a small window above where Laura lay. Through the window, Bayne could see that the sun was just rising. If they left now, they could definaltly make it to the castle by sunset. He hated to wake Laura, but he gently shook her to pull her from her slumber. Bayne quietly told her of his plans, and she gladly agreed. They planned to leave through the window, for it was not very high off the ground. When they were ready, Bayne helped Laura find footholds in the roughly cut stone walls. Once Laura was on the outside of the building, Bayne pushed himself through the opening. They were free.
(Jaria)
"Take his body. Make sure he is properly burried." Jaria ordered her gaurds.
"But, your Highness, we thought that he was your enemy."
"He is! But if you question my judgement again, you will suffer for your choices! Unless you would like to have your life threatened at the stake, I would suggest that you close your disrespectful mouth and follow my orders!"
"Yes, your Highness. What are your wishes?" The guard replied with his head hannging low.
"Bury him in the forest-" She stopped. Then she suddenly raced out the door with a shrill,"They are coming our way!"
Bayne threw back the doors which led into the dining hall of the Queen. After all of the hard work and turmoil that he and Laura had been through to get to this point. He was shocked to see how swiftly Laura had consented to his helping her, and now he was almost to the end.
They charged through the open door, smashing everything in their way. Laura looked in amazement as Bayne skillfully weaved his way through the castle, almost like he had been there before. Before she knew it, they were racing down a large flight of stairs to wards the dungeons. Only then did Laura realize that something was a little odd. the guards were gone.
"Bayne, what is going on?" Laura asked as she stopped to catch her breath, "I haven't seen one guard yet!"
"OH! Now that you mention it, that is kinda weird. I wonder if the action in the realm has been low lately and she, the Queen, isn't worried about intruders?"
"Possibly, but do you not think that's a little abnormal?"
"Not really. Every good soldier needs a break every once in a while. Now let's keep moving, or it's going to be too late before we get there!"
They raced down numerous flights of stairs, rounded countless corners, and stooped under several arches. At last they reached the bottom, but what they found wasn't what they had expected.
"Hello, my brave young warrior. Oh and Laura, you look like you've seen a ghost." It was the Queen. However,that's not what worried Laura the most. What worried her the most was that Bayne bowed and said, "My Queen."