Chapter 3

One year later...

"Albert are you f*cking serious? You never told me about you moving to the US?" Rui rested his head on the palm of his hand while sitting on his swivel chair while Albert placed a folder in front of his desk.

"I did tell you this last year, if I remember it correctly I even sent you a file and you signed it." Naiinis na napakunot ng noo si Rui, hindi niya inaasahan na totoo ang sinasabi ng sekretarya niya. He signed it jokingly. Who the hell writes a resignation letter one year in advance?

"Last May 08,2020 you signed my resignation letter that is going to be effective one week from now May 08,2021."

"I didn't even took that seriously! I didn't think that something promised for a year later would turn out to be true! "

"I mean, when did I lie?"

"You're absolutely insane, do you know that? I haven't even started looking for anyone that could replace you." Albert tapped him in the shoulder, his bright huge smile irritated his good friend and boss more than anything. Rui has been depending on him too much, he has been his secretary and a close friend for so long. He knows everything about him that makes everything a lot easier for him.

"Come on Mr. Andrews, hindi naman kita papabayaan ng ganoon nalang. Kaya naman nilinis ko na 'yong schedule mo and may mga applicants na darating ngayon! I already screened them so 'yong mga napili ko sure na sure, kaya nila 'yong trabaho ko!" It's nine in the morning and he already caused his boss to loosen his tie and mess up his own hair out of frustration.

"Boss, I have to tell you something tho..."

"Please don't give me more stress Albert."

"I chose three very suitable ladies as your secretary!" Parang nangaasar pa na pumalakpak si Albert habang pinanlalakihan siya ng mata ni Rui.

"Do you want to die?! You know exactly why I chose a crazy person like you as my secretary for this long!" He slapped the hand that was tapping him by the shoulder.

"Boss, I know your situation very well. Pero di ba wala namang kaso sa'yo kung may babae sa kumpanya natin?"

"As my secretary? Are you on drugs? That's basically making me stick with a girl the whole day!" Tumango tango pa si Alfred.

"Don't worry. Sigurado ako na makakatulong sa trabaho mo ang kahit sino sa kanila. Their table would be outside your office. You can make them stand far away from you. Gusto ko lang na bago kita maiwanan, subukan natin? For a week maybe? We haven't really tried this method of... you know what I mean?" Alfred sincerely looked at him in the eyes as if asking him to try his crazy idea for once.

"Mr. Andrews, I know for a fact that you trust women that works in this company right?"

"Yes I trust them with work. But forcing me to stay close to a wo-"

"I know you hate the idea. But this is the only way we haven't tried. You never exposed yourself do you know what I mean? You tried everything else but facing it directly. I am just asking you to try it for a week. While I'm still here, you know I won't let you be in danger, at least not alone. If after a week you still couldn't do it, I will contact one of my friend to replace me." Panandaliang na blangko si Rui habang nakatingin sa malayo. Hindi niya alam kung kaya ba niya na gawin ang sinasabi ng kaibigan, but Albert was right. He never really tried to make himself face his fears.

"One week."

"Yes! We will start the interview in ten minutes!"

His palms are getting sweaty, this is a first for Rui. He hasn't felt this nervous when he produced his first ever movie, not even when it failed and made him lose a fortune. He raised his head as soon as he heard a knock from the door of the meeting room. Albert smiled at him and guided the first woman to seat on the chair in front of Rui and he sat next to his boss afterwards.