Chapter 2: Lying Is The Most Fun A Commander Can Have

I stared blankly at the laptop screen. Five attempts left. Information about Dalton Foss might be in here but I won't risk it. There's no telling what would happen after the five attempts are used up. There must be more clues.

     The desk drawers were unlocked. I began digging through the mess of papers that were placed without care. Something caught my eye. I fished it out.

     Whatever it was, the outer material was soft and fuzzy. Fur-like. The cat-girl's face flashed into my mind in an instant.

     "Euugh!" It was her ear. A part of me was right. It's not in the storage room. Dalton Foss must have tricked her into thinking it was hidden there. Whoever Dalton Foss is, he's a man equivalent to trash. Maybe even worse.

      "Do I even want to know what's inside?" I asked myself the question as I glanced at the laptop screen. "Ugh..." The wine hits harder now. I was seeing double. A walk outside should clear my head... If I could find a way out of the maze-like corridor.

O     O     O

     I ended up in the cafe. How? No idea, but the door that leads out was in sight. I took a step into the dimly lit cafe only to be greeted by a girl behind the wooden bar. It's the one with the golden-brown pigtails tied with a red, white, and blue ribbon.

     "Commander? The cafe is closed." She smiled a flat smile. It's forced, even I could tell.

     "Oh, uh, I'm not here to order anything." My words stopped her in mid-stride. It looks like she was about to make me a cup of coffee. But why would she do that? She said the cafe is closed. "Don't need to trouble yourself. I'm just going out for a walk." Her expression surprised me. She's taken aback by what I had just said. Did I sound weird?

     "I... see." She gently set the cup down and rested her hands on the countertop. "Are you feeling unwell, commander? You sound...different."

     "Different? Ha, ha..." I laughed awkwardly. "W-What makes you say that?"

     She didn't answer immediately. Something was holding her back. "No, never mind. Have a nice walk, commander." She bowed a little and gestured to the door. I nodded and made my way outside.

     The wind blew across my chin. It's cold yet I could barely feel it. The view around me took my attention away from the chill of the night.

     W-Where am I? Is this a military base? Oil drums, high-tech radar dishes, armoured vehicles. As I look around, my headache persisted. Drumming. Hammering. A walk wouldn't do a damn thing! The cold wind picks up, slapping me across the cheeks. Finally, it made me shiver. I blame the fat that surrounds my entire body. My own fur coat.

    Back to the situation at hand. Why would I be on a military base? I was asleep in my room last night, that's all I remember. Is Dalton Foss some kind of soldier? No, that can't be right. The girls I've met so far called me 'Commander'. If that's the case, do I need to command them? Are we fighting a war? More questions, no answers.

     I decided to head back inside.

O     O     O

     "The commander dropped by," Springfield informed as soon as she entered her dorm room. The rest of the girls turned their heads to her, suddenly interested to hear more. "He didn't order anything."

     "I'm glad you're okay," said Sten. "But that's strange. Whenever he goes there, even if it's closed, he would always force you to make him something."

     Springfield took a seat next to her and thought about it. "I agree, but tonight's different. He sounds... calmer?" It wasn't the best of description but something was indeed off.