Chapter 4: Queen For A Day

I hope you enjoy this chapter!

Would you kindly lookout for errors? Thank you!

*     *     *

     My head throbbed. The world spun. With every breath I took, the smell of alcohol punched into my nose.

     I lay there, on the warm carpeted floor, unmoving. Work was calling to me in the back of my mind, but I shooed them away.

     There was a knock on the door. Light taps from what I could hear. I forced my pudgy self to sit up and it took the wind out of me. Going for a jog with a hangover was the last thing I wanted to do.

     The knock persisted, a little louder this time. I got to my feet and opened the door.

     "Yes?" I questioned, my mind still hazy from the amount of drink I had. TMP stood before me, quivering. In her hands were a stack of documents and floppy disks.

     "I... I have collated the data you requested."

     Data? What data?

     The moment I reached out to grab it, she flinched away, dropping everything to the floor.

     "I'm sorry it took so long! P-Please!" She cowered away, arms shielding her head and face.

     The scene was a wake-up call. It sobered me up in an instant. She's another victim of Dalton Foss's abuse.

     "It's okay..." I reassured her with a calming tone. "You did a good job." She's still shaken. I got to my knees and picked up the scattered documents. "Take a break, TMP. You deserve it." Before I could even give her head a pat, she ran off.

     Springfield rounded the corner, nearly colliding with the quick SMG T-Doll as she darted past. "TMP?" She called out, but she's too far to hear her. When she returned her gaze to me, it was a glare.

     "It's not what it looks like!"

     She was having none of it. Without a word, she turned on her heels and followed after her fleeing comrade.

O     O     O

     I was a fool to think he had changed! She screamed in her head. To hit TMP for doing her job is unforgivable!

     TMP had not gone far. She took cover in a narrow space between two potted plants. Footsteps grew closer and she winced. Eyes screwed shut, bracing for the inevitable.

     "TMP, it is okay. I am here." Springfield's soothing voice reached her ears. She opened her eyes. They were wet with tears. "Come on out, please. It's dirty there." With a hand, she coaxed her out. "What happened? Did the Commander hit you again?"

     She shook her head.

     "What did he do?"

     It took a moment for her to answer. But when she did, it left Springfield puzzled.

     "He asked you to take a break?" She clarified. "Are you sure?"

     "Y-Yes."

     "Then why did you run away?"

     Tears continued to run down her cheeks. "I was scared."

     Springfield wrapped her arms around her and hugged her tightly. "Do not be scared. Everything is alright." Looks like she'll need to have a talk with the Commander. Hopefully, he's sober enough to have a proper conversation.