Chapter 3: Warmness On The Core

Would you kindly look out for errors? Thanks and enjoy this chapter!

*     *     *

     Sitting on my desk were files of the girls under my command. I had pulled them out from a desk drawer.

     Each of their names and faces was pasted on the cover. IDW, cat girl. Skorpion, the one I have yet to meet. Springfield, cafe lady. Sten MkII, petite girl. TMP, the girl I had bumped into yesterday. These were the files I managed to retrieve so far.

     I could not wrap my head around two words in particular. 'Tactical Doll'. Apparently, in this day and age, these girls are machines.

     The proof that I'm still on Earth eased me a little, yet my heart could not accept the fact that they are tools use for fighting.

     Does that mean I have to deploy them one day? Will they get hurt? Can they die? The thought made my stomach turn. It's tying into knots.

     A knock on the door made me flinch. It was IDW. I let her in.

     "Commeownder?" She called out. Her voice oozing with sombre. Something must have happened after meeting her new squad members. I let her take a seat and compose herself before speaking. "I don't think I want to be in a squad anymore."

     After stuffing the files away, I shut the drawer quietly and interlaced my fingers. "What makes you say that?"

     She let out a breath and rested her gaze upon the red, carpeted flooring. It took her a while to speak again. "Can I go back to the storeroom?"

     "You could, but why would you want to do that? I think the dorms are comfier." I said with a reassuring smile. "Is there something wrong with your new squad?"

     She hugged her tail. "They were saying bad things about you. I don't... I don't like that."

     Whatever she heard might have been the truth. The old Dalton Foss left nothing but bad memories for them. My job is to make sure they are happy from this day onwards.

     Look at me. I am the new Dalton Foss now.

     "Don't worry about it too much, IDW. Do your level best to enjoy your time with your new squad members."

     She raised her head, an ear twitched. "But--"

     "It's a request. Please?" I watched as she contemplates the thought. She nodded, a little dejected. "Great! If there are any problems, do not hesitate to come to me."

     "Yes, sir..." She stood up, saluted, and left the room.

     I handled it sloppily and no could tell me otherwise. Never in my life did I need to console someone like this. Now, I was left to pick up the mess, and it's emotionally draining.

     Another knock on the door. It made me jump. It's Springfield, and she brought a cup of tea.

     "Sir, it's your afternoon tea time." She said without even looking at me. I let her place the tea set on my desk and pour a cup for me. "I heard about Thunder, and what you'd done." She stirs the hot beverage and watches as the sugar cubes dissolve. "Taking away the 'services' won't justify what you had done to her." Her gaze still won't meet mine.

     She gently tapped the spoon and pushed the cup toward me. I watched as my reflection gets distorted, but it clears up with time. A metaphor maybe?

     "Enjoy your tea."

     "Thank you," I responded with a smile.

     At that moment, she raised her head. Finally, she looked at me. It's a look of bewilderment.