Three

I hold Haden's bound hands, steering and pushing him along as we walk. Every moment our hands touch is insufferable bliss. Alternating with immense disappointment when I remind myself of reality.

My ears perk at the sound of civilization. I double check his gag before pushing him toward the sound.

On the edge of the woods, I tie him up to a solid tree and scope the scene.

I have the go cash mom kept tucked safely in her bag. Two thousand dollars could buy an older car. It's a matter of finding one. I wish I could have taken our car, my hand jingles the key while double checking the money, but the pack wolves had surrounded it. My phone had been dead when they attacked. It's a piece of junk that barely holds a charge, but it's a phone.

I don't see any cars for sale here and slump back to my captive dejectedly. He mumbles something to me as I approach, but I ignore him. Untying the knot around the tree I push him along again. After another mile or so we come to a freeway exit. This is perfect. People park cars they're selling near freeways all the time to get more visibility. After tying up what's his name, I run to the exit, spotting a rust bucket of a truck with a for sale sign fixed in the window, 2500. I'm pretty sure I can talk them down, so I don't get too discouraged until I realize no one is around to buy the car from. A phone number is under the price, but my phone is dead.

I slump back to what's his face, leaning against the tree opposite him. He's mumbling something again. I glare at him while he speaks adamantly about something. He has an adorable cleft chin.

Rolling my eyes, I stand and pull down the gag before slumping back against the tree. I still don't listen to what he says, just enjoy the sound of his voice, letting it soothe my frayed nerves.

"Hi. Hello. Hey!" he yells, gaining my attention as I jump up to replace the gag. "Wait. Please just tell me your name. I'm Haden." He pleads, those green eyes catching mine, holding me like the twisting vines of an ivy.

"Bane." I reply, feeling embarrassed of my name for the first time. I've always liked that it's unique, but it's not the most feminine or beautiful name. I make an audible disgusted sound at myself for such pathetic thoughts before recovering and returning the pack wolf's gag mid-sentence. Haden, I like it.

After an hour of weaving through woods we come upon another town where I finds a 1990 Jeep Cherokee for fifteen hundred that I talks down to twelve. It's not until I'm handing them the money that I remember that I'm covered in muck and probably look like an insane person. I thought the woman sounded a little nasally. Tucking Haden safely on the floor of the back seat and tying his wrist binds to a handle, I take off down the highway.

Haden begins kicking the back of the passenger seat, yelling about something, prompting me to pull over at the next rest stop.

"What?" I ask, pulling down his gag, my brows pinched in annoyance.

"I gotta pee." He replies, avoiding eye contact.

I bite my lip, looking at his hands.

Parked at the far end of the rest stop, I help Haden from the back and into a line of trees. I fidget nervously for a moment, clenching and unclenching my hands before hastily unzipping his pants.

I run away, as if my job is complete before turning back, knowing it's not. He mumbles something through his gag again. I sigh deeply, pulling it down. The rest stop is abandoned mostly anyway. Just a few truckers who probably wouldn't assist anyone calling for help anyway.

"Tie my hands in front of me." He suggests.

"Nice try." I Reply.

"Just let me go then." He insists, pulling on his wrists.