Nine

I glare up at him, pulling away from our kiss while pushing on his chest. "No." I refuse hating the pathetic whimper that breaks the word.

"I have to go, Bane." He pleads.

I can't push him away with the chain behind me so settle for wriggling out from under him. He lets me go, climbing out of the bed behind me.

"My pack will find us soon. You know what will happen then."

I do know. The memory of mom brings bile to my throat and tears to my eyes.

"Come with me." He gives one last desperate plea. "I'll protect you." He moves to push a strand of hair from my face, but I push him away with a snarl.

"Alphas don't protect. They control. I won't be just another member of your pack, for you to use as you see fit." I spit, reaching into grabbing my bag and fishing out the handcuff keys. "Remember a rogue let you live the next time you're watching your underlings tear one apart." I deliver coolly, unlocking his hands then dropping the keys on the floor in front of him.

I don't give him time to respond, turning away from the hurt in his eyes and running out the door.

I run again, well in this case, drive. I make it over a few state lines before circling back, telling myself this will confuse them and buy me more time. In reality, the further I drive from Haden the weaker I feel. He gave me an unwarranted sense of power. Even though I was on my own for the first time, I felt capable. Like nothing could hurt me and if it did, I'd bite right back. Now I'm truly alone, and I can feel it.

I find a job in a new town and a room to rent from a nice elderly human couple. My car broke down a few cities back, but I can walk to work. I am surviving.

I walk down a back alley. Avoiding the main road, not wanting to be mistaken for a hooker again. The smell of the French fries in my takeaway bag from work are taunting me.

"Look what I found, a little rogue." A masculine, somewhat grading voice mocks, grabbing my wrist, causing me to drop the fry I was trying to shove in my mouth.

"What the fuck?" I complain, watching the delicious fried morsel fall on the trash littered alley floor.

"Bringing treats to grandma's house," Another male voice taunts, coming in front of me. He snatches the bag, peering into it disdainfully before tossing it to the side.

My rage spikes, my teeth grinding now.

"Little red." The werewolf continues to mock while plucking a tendril of my auburn hair that has taken on more of a red hue in the light of dusk.

My black eyes lock with the milky blue ones of the strange pack wolf, as the one behind me wraps an arm around my waist.

"Should we have some fun before killing her?" The one behind me that smells terribly of black licorice and booze sweats, asks as he releases my wrist to grope chest.

I don't wait for the other's reply, boxing boozy's ears before using the heel of my hand to break uglies nose. I drop to the ground, shifting as I disappear down the ally, staying to the shadows and slipping behind dumpsters.

I find woods, the same woods I'd traveled through with Haden. I follow his faint scent, likely perceivable only to me at this point, back to the abandoned shack we'd spent the night in.

I finds my way back to where I lost mom but turn back just as I'm about to enter Haden's territory. I need him but I won't let myself. Mom sacrificed her life for freedom and to keep me free. I won't spit on her memory by joining a pack, living the life she ran from. I won't put myself at Haden's will.

The motel looks so much like the one we stayed in.

I'm drawn into the bar by the curry spirited special they have that night. It doesn't smell anywhere as good as he does, but I apply anyway, using mom's ID. Everything reminds me of him and I let it.

I'm leaning over the counter, tossing toothpicks into a shot glass when the ginger stings my nose, tamed by the umami scent of curry. They hadn't run the special since the day I applied.

In the small kitchen area, I find Julio making the same old wings and jalapeño poppers. The scent grows stronger and it's undeniable. He's here. 

============================================

Thank you for readingC;