Chapter 4

Eli and Reagan managed to catch up to Derek at the Hale House. He waits for them at the entrance, and they stop a few feet away. He stands there stiff and tense, with his arms crossed against his chest.

"What are you?" Derek asks.

Reagan and Eli share a quick glance of surprise before looking back at him. Eli quirks an eyebrow and says, "Right to the point. I see."

Derek doesn't bother to reply, tilting his head forward with expectations of an answer. Reagan scoffs at the reaction, and looks to Eli, waiting for her response.

The latter smiles nervously, wiping the palms of her hands against her side. She squints her eyes for a second, trying to figure out how to explain her situation that made sense.

"Umm, well, you see. That's the number one question isn't it," She hesitantly laughs, darting her eyes, quickly between her best friend and Derek.

"Yeah, that's why I asked it," Derek growls impatiently.

"God, you both are insufferable," Reagan sighs, pinching the bridge of her nose.

Eli sags her shoulders and explains, "Fine, I don't know. Okay? I just know that I can control people's emotions and actions. Or ease the truth out of them, as I did to you yesterday." Eli growls in frustration, "Trust me, I've tried to figure out what I am, but my father was very adamant about keeping his mouth shut. The bastard kept the secret to his grave."

Reagan grabs her arm and gives it a light squeeze in an act of comfort. "Her brothers are not allowed to know, even though they are hunters."

Derek's eyes widen and then immediately harden. "Not the boys you were just with?"

Eli shook her head. "No, those are our friends. Scott is the one that was bitten, yesterday, by the alpha. Stiles is completely human. Neither of them knows, though. I was getting around to telling them."

Derek relaxes for a second before questioning again, "What's your last name?"

Eli looks at him confused, unsure of why that mattered.

The werewolf sighs in annoyance and explains, "Most hunters are known by their last names, like the Argents. Your brothers are also hunters, just like your dad, so if they're talked about, they would most likely be referred to by their last names."

"Ohh, right. Winchester. My last name is Winchester."

"You're John Winchester's daughter?" Derek growls.

Reagan steps in front of Eli, meeting his glare with one of her own. "Put the claws away buddy. We didn't come here to kick your ass."

Eli scoffs at her best friend's overprotectiveness, seeing as she was a trained hunter, and not her. "It's fine. Sometimes I forget how much of an impression my dad leaves."

"That's an understatement," Derek snips. "He didn't even have a code to live by. And I hear your brothers aren't much different, either."

Eli's shoulder's tense at the implication, knowing that his words weren't completely uncalled for. Dean was the ultimate soldier with Dad over his shoulders, and even more ruthless with Sammy's life on the line. With their dad gone, he's calm down a fraction, but he still has a reputation. Sammy was the more compassionate one and not that well know until recently; after the death of Jessica. They went searching for Yellow Eyes and they haven't told her much about their journey, only that they finally killed him.

She knew they were keeping something from her, but she had problems to deal with now. She'll pry it out of them when she can get the chance.

"You don't need to worry about them." Eli waves off dismissively, "They are on some case that they won't bother telling me about. They won't come creeping around here unless they are tipped off that something is going down."